Does a writer's personal beliefs matter to you?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Steerpike, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Richard Curtis does this. A lot. The character David Horton in The Vicar of Dibley, for example.

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I really don't care - I don't read about the authors, for one thing. They're not why I'm reading the book. The only notice I take of them is, if I particularly like the book, I'll watch for their next one (or past ones). I don't even mind if they put their views into their writing, as long as it's done within a character and not preaching it. Now, with nonfiction, it's another story. If I can't stand someone's political/religious/social views, why the heck would I want to read more of their ideas? If those authors are of any importance, no doubt I can read about them (compressed) in the news.

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

He started out as that anyway. He became a much more rounded character toward the end.

4. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Fair point. Sometimes you may have to though.

I had to contend with some very dodgy literature studying politics. Part of the game, I guess. But they just love to go over and over their pet favourites... insert 20th Century Communist or Nazi leader of choice.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't see why it should matter at all to anyone, as long as they enjoy the product of that person's talents...

people who'd limit their exposure to/enjoyment of great works of art, or fine performances, or good literature just because they don't like what the artist thinks about this or that are foolish to the max, imo...

6. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

Even if you agree: most people don't like to be lectured.

7. Peerie Pict

Peerie Pict Contributor Contributor

We have pretty much identical views on this. I try not to let a writer's view cloud my perspective of his/her talents. However, there have been times when watching review shows when a critic has slated the personal views of a writer and from then on I actively avoid the author's work. Philip Roth's novels are widely considered to be sexist (in particular, the repeated stories of old men lusting after young girls). Given his status and undeniable talents, I'd love to read his books but I can't bring myself to read those tired storylines. I have actually read Exit Ghost but can't remember a thing about it.

Apart from overt sexism (when a writer lets his fantasies play out on the page, ugh) I am fairly relaxed about political views. I absolutely draw the line at Ayn Rand and her neoliberal capitalism-on-speed doctrine. I find her cult following highly disturbing.

People here have also pointed out that a writer shouldn't beat the reader around the head with moralising overtones. Sometimes this is necessary, especially where the writer is tackling deep rooted inequality (Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird, and Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man). In this case it would be difficult to write a book about widespread societal racism without it being political. I don't even mind a book to be quite preachy and with a campaigning element, as long as the writing is good. I'm a dyed in the wool lefty though and I don't have to look far in the world of literature to see liberal views reflected back to me :)

8. Lightman

Lightman Active Member

I generally agree with the maxim that all art is political, regardless of the creator's conscious intent. I think it should be - politically empty art would be necessarily empty of meaningful content.

Generally I think art can be great even if it supports despicable things. One of my favorite movies is The Battleship Potemkin, despite the fact that it's a propaganda film for an awful regime. I really don't think I could stomach the sort of sixty-page philosophical rant that Rand is so famous for, not so much because of her despicable politics, but more because that's just bad form.

9. heyitsmary

heyitsmary New Member

I actually really enjoy reading books written by authors with different religious/personal beliefs than mine. Seeing things from other people's viewpoints is one of things I love about being a reader as well as a writer.
    (Of course, I love reading books with authors who share my beliefs as well.)

10. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Not always. Some books I read have the author stating their opinion in some way -- through their characters or otherwise -- and even if I disagree, it's not always a deal-breaker for me with the story. The only time the author's beliefs ever ruin or take the focus away from the book for me are when they get overly preachy or downright rude. CS Lewis is a great author, and I like the Narnia series, but I can't pretend the overly Christian themes (especially in "The Last Battle") don't annoy me. Or if an author takes someone's beliefs and trashes them throughout the book, showing no consideration that there might be variences in opinion, that's when it affects me.