1. Picillo

Picillo New Member

18th century Europe

Discussion in 'Research' started by Picillo, Nov 19, 2010.

I am writing a vampire novel and in my preface/first chapter, the main character is apprentacing under an enchantress and it is based in 18th century Europe. Please tell me all the aspects of life and such in that time.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Google is a tool every writer must master.

3. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

And beyond that... you're being way too broad. Pick a region, and a decade, and then you might find some sources that can actually benefit you beyond providing a very general outline. The more specific you are, the more you can reduce background noise and find the best information for your story.

4. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

I think Cogito's being too polite. Picillo, you're asking for other people to drop what they're doing to write a detailed explanation of a very complicated time period. This is not only rude -- it tells us you think your time is more valuable than ours, since most people read far more quickly than they write -- but it suggests you don't actually care much, and might not even read a detailed post if we gave you one.

Do some Googling, or use Bing or another search engine. Life in 1700s England was very different from life in Spain or France or the Italian peninsula. There were wars going on -- England and the Colonies in the later half of the century, or France against England and the Colonies earlier, as well as other conflicts both large and small.

Now you have some context. Fill in the details yourself, with Google's help.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto all of that!