1. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Does anybody get that feeling where you want to write something down, but you can't?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Fullmetal Xeno, Aug 8, 2011.

Ok so today i somewhat got over my procrastination and my family was going to the phone store today to fix my father and my sister's phones, and i brought a notebook with me to work on my writing but when we got into the car i couldn't seem to write anything down. I got all these exciting things going through my head, then i pull out my notebook and pencil and i become blank. I had the same problem while we were at the phone store. Nothing. Not another single word added on to my writing. Now im beginning to think im somebody who can only visualize my ideas, but have a hard time writing them down. The whole thing doesn't make sense to me. Hopefully i figure this whole thing out and i can just write, but every-time i overcome one problem another one comes. But when i write something for school, im completely motivated! It doesn't make sense at all. Very rarely i get the motivation to entirely overcome my problem. I get frustrated because i bet alot of you people here want me to get something done and reveal a part of my work so you can suggest things and improve my writing by telling me mistakes etc etc. But i just can't seem to overcome my problems. I have a hard time tackling procrastination and writing stuff down most of the time. I get really disappointed with myself alot when something like this happens.

2. proserpine

proserpine Member

Yes. Sometimes there is a disconnect between my mind and my keyboard.

I find it helps to make an effort to write every day. If you don't want to work on your current project, write something else. Don't worry about it being a masterpiece, just sit and write for a set amount of time.

One of those, "you can't get water out of a faucet unless you turn it on" approaches, I guess.

Good luck with your writing. Try not to be so hard on yourself. Remember, no one has to see your rough drafts except for you.

3. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

I cannot write anything in a notebook that I brought along to someplace simply for the purpose of writing. I can only write things if I get the urge to write, take out my notebook and pen and let the words flow.

4. Fullmetal Xeno

That was my whole point, i wanted to write. But i couldn't for some reason.

5. chronicler

chronicler Member

I have been struggling with this very thing for the last week. I want to get going on my novel but can't seem to get passed opening "Word".

What I found a little helpful is taking a rough idea as to how your story is to go and then expanding (each plot point) it to a small paragraph. Your not "writing" per say, but your getting something accomplished and you will feel better.

6. The_NeverPen

The_NeverPen Member

I have the same problem, but with music. I'll have a great idea in my head, but once I get to the piano, guitar or a blank sheet, it won't come out. I suggest not trying to write down sentences, just write the first words that come to mind when you have an idea. If you can get an idea into a sentence, then do that, but just freely associate until something happens.

Just keep the process, not the end result, in mind.

7. Fullmetal Xeno

I just tried what you suggested. Thanks! Im capturing other character ideas in just one sentence.

8. Fullmetal Xeno

Thanks for the suggestion. :D

9. DeviouSquirrel

DeviouSquirrel Member

What I do when I'm struggling to start writing is to ask my boyfriend for a word. Any word. He tells me a random word that may or may not fit with the scene I'm trying to write, and I try really hard to fit it into something that makes sense for the scene. By the time I've done that, I've got a sentence, and I wasn't so much worried about it being the perfect sentence to start off with, just any sentence, but when that first one is over, it's much easier to keep going.

Then, go back and if the word/the first sentence doesnt work for the scene, delete and re-write it.

It sounds silly, but it works for me :)

10. theweatherman

theweatherman Member

Put on some music. It sounds simple, but you can draw a lot of inspiration and ideas just by listening to music. It usually gets me going.

11. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

All the time.

12. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributing Member Contributor

No.

If I'm well rested, fed and wish to write something, I write it. I might think it's crap later, but that's a whole other thing.

13. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

Feeling that right now..;_;

14. Leah

Leah Member

One thing that I have found to help is to just jot down words. They can be random from the thoughts in your head, don't have to go together, but they are the words that are jumping in your head, begging to get out.

When you are ready, you will remember the feeling you had writing them down, look at the words again and be inspired to link them into your story.

Might be worth a shot...

15. Shifty

Shifty Member

I live in my head with my characters most of the
    sounds psychological. Your stressed out and its stopping you write which is stressing you out.

Cure: "Write" cackled the crazed psychologist typing like a maniac; still in his pyjamas. Any old nonsense will do.

16. pwrstorm

pwrstorm New Member

Same here, actually. For me, it's just the way I'm wired; I only do work if there is something, like a grade, that is at risk if I don't do the work.

When it comes to non-academic work, I carry around a small, pocket-sized notebook. Whenever I get an idea, I take it out and then write down whatever I had in my mind.

I guess that doesn't really help, but good luck in any case haha.

17. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I read an interview with a famous writer who said that once, when he couldn't write anything even though he had the story in his head, he just started writing in the style of one of those old Dick and Jane readers for little kids. "See Spot run. Run, Spot, run!" That kind of thing. He said that, while it was ridiculous, it let him set the story down and gave him something to revise.

So write your stuff in baby-talk, if it gets you writing. You might find that it helps!

18. MJLowson

MJLowson Member

I find this sometimes, I'll have the paper ready, - or the computer open and then the words dont come out. - I put music on (I'm not a huge music lover) sometimes but usually if I've written a plan - (I plan the story in to parts in my current WIP - Ten, then I break that down into a chapter or small sub group of chapters) I have a read of the part plan and chapter plan and have a look at how the scene might play out.

19. Clumsywordsmith

Clumsywordsmith Active Member

Yep. As a matter of fact, it's happening to me right now. Especially frustrating in that, I woke up early this morning and went for a run, felt positively great and bursting with ideas, creativity and imagination. But after nine or so hours of work and a brief spat with an uncooperative lawnmower this afternoon, the good vibes just kind of died. And now my mind is left about as empty and spacious as it is after I've had a little too much to drink.

I think I'll go read a good book.

20. JackElliott

JackElliott Senior Member

No.

These feelings seemed to vanish right around the time I stopped believing in silly psychological constructs like 'the muse'.

21. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

This happens to me all the time. The #1 obstacle to my writing is the mind-to-paper translation... I think of something, and then when I write it, it's not like it was in my mind.

22. nchahine

nchahine Member

Have you thought of maybe getting an MP3 recorder instead and actually recording your thoughts? This may be completely wrong, but maybe you're what you need is something more auditory than visual.

23. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

You're probably scared that it wouldn't come out right.

For this kinda stuff, I find scribbling useful - little pages of notes that you KNOW are rough, that will never ever ever make it into your novel. You're not writing out the story - you're just jotting it down. Start with that, and then go with the flow. I find sometimes I start writing things down in bullet points and gradually my mind unlocks and actual prose starts to flow :)

I'm having the same thing. I know exactly what should come next, but something's frozen me up for the past few days. I'm still writing - but I'm not feeling the writing and I keep second guessing myself. I'm really, really scared of writing right now, and I don't know why.

24. AveryWhite

AveryWhite Senior Member

one of my greatest problems is ill be writing a sentence or at least trying to and ill have the words and as i get to one in the middle of the sentence ill suddenly go blank and for the life of me i can not remember the word!
    and it will be the simplest word you could imagine and it takes me about 5 minuits or alot longer trying to remeber it (if ever) and if i suddenly remember it ill be ofcourse!!
    but the problem then is iv forgot the whole sentence half way, or it was a paragraph and iv forgoten my flow and what i was trying to write about!! so annoying.
    sometimes my bank of words can just be so fustrating! lol

25. AveryWhite

AveryWhite Senior Member

Perhaps our co-writing will help :D and maybe it'll help loosen you up to do your own writing :)