1. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

What state of mind do you need in order to write?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fitzroy Zeph, Jun 1, 2014.

The title says most of it. In order to write well, where do you have to be? Happy, content, melancholy, depends on the scene?

jannert likes this.
  2. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

Concentrated. Undistracted. And inspired. All other states only ruin my will to do anything creative :)

jazzabel, sunsplash and jannert like this.
  3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I'm not really sure what sort of mood or mindset I have to be in to write. I know that if there are too many real life stresses going on, there's no point in trying because my mind can't focus. Otherwise, I've been chomping at the bit to write, or stubbornly set on getting that scene done, or excited because I've just figured out the next step, or desperately turning to writing because I have to escape from the current crisis - so I guess state of mind isn't really a factor for me. I have a story to tell and I just do it.

jannert likes this.
  4. Larissa Redeker

Larissa Redeker Active Member

When I know I'm capable of writing. Which is rare.

5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

My best frame of mind for fiction writing is an odd sort of tightrope-dancing, "Oh, who cares" sort of mood, one that allows me to let things escape from my mind and not really care whether they're sensible or what they're going to do.

That's not to say that I can't write in other moods/states of mind, but I seem to need that sort of mood to create a truly new-to-me idea. Once the skeleton of that idea is in place, then I can flesh it out irrespective of the state of mind I'm in.

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I just have to be more or less at peace with myself. If I'm stressed, my mind goes in too many directions and I can't focus on writing. So it's peace. That's why I like most to write in the early morning, before anything stress-causing happens to me.

jannert and Fitzroy Zeph like this.
  7. We Are Cartographers

We Are Cartographers Active Member

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    jannert and Fitzroy Zeph like this.
  8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Peace, quiet, nothing else I gotta do right away. VERY early morning. That's me. Actually I can write at any time, if I know I won't get interrupted. But early morning works best because my brain is 'fresh' from sleep. Sleep opens channels to the subconscious.

Once somebody starts talking to me, or I have to talk to them—forming words and sentences that aren't my story—then I lose it. I can edit and tinker at any time, but the real 'new' writing comes early in the day.

9. sunsplash

sunsplash Bona fide beach bum

Between the Magic City & the Conch Republic
    This:

& this:

Except that I'm a late night writer...I prefer to sleep in and write while everyone else is settled in bed for the night.

10. sylvertech

sylvertech Active Member

I can write in any state of mind as long as the current surrounding environment is not disastrously noisy (as in, jackhammers pumping or babies wailing or people arguing).

Even then, I can still churn out stuff. However, the truly inspired writing state (the one that requires thinking and contemplating complicated stuff) needs silent solitude.

I'm not one for "moods" since I just love to write and the mood will just end up reflected in my writing, which I guess I picked up from writing journal entries all the time.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

just alive and breathing, able to manage a pen or keyboard...

12. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

I prefer to write in the evening but I edit, flesh and re-write a lot. And I can always tell when I've written something while I've been in a bad mood!

13. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

To accomplish much of anything, I have to get around eight hours of sleep. Anything more than fifteen minutes or so under that makes it really difficult to get motivated. I need a good amount of alertness to write.

Most importantly, I can't feel like a terrible person for making mistakes. That will cripple me even more than arrogance will. I need to be able to approach my work from a somewhat detached and analytic manner.

I often listen to music when I'm writing, usually more introspective varieties of hip-hop.

Energy drinks can help me get started and make me feel more confident while I'm writing, but I'm not sure if they actually improve its quality.

14. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

An illegal state of mind probably.

But seriously and bizarrely, a procrastinating state of mind.

I needed to tidy my garage to have space to mend my motorcycle. I procrastinated so badly about it, I ended up writing a whole novel.

cazann34 and minstrel like this.
  15. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I have to have silence. And be motivated. Creative. No distractions. Generally I write between 9am to 12pm and then I write between 10pm to 12am. That is if none of my roommates are playing games or listening to loud music.

16. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Conscious.

sylvertech likes this.
  17. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

Alone and cocky. It's a slippery slope when you start thinking your work is crap, so it's important to stay (even ignorantly) positive.

18. Tara

Tara Senior Member

As long as I'm physically capable of writing I will be able to write. Depending on my mood and surroundings it may take some time, but once I start writing I will get in the creative mood I need to be in to be able to write.

sylvertech likes this.
  19. Motley

Motley Active Member

I'm with the folks who can write no matter what the mindset or mood, mostly because I make myself do it anyway. If I had to get into some specific mood to write, I would never get anything done.

sylvertech likes this.
  20. KirstyJayne

KirstyJayne New Member

I don't think it makes a huge amount of difference for me. I used to be a late night writer, for some reason my best ideas would come at about 1am, but I can't do that any more because of work, etc. As long as I spend some time getting myself to concentrate, I can get on with it, even if I wasn't in the best mood to write in the first place.

21. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Any, really.

22. Joshlyn

Joshlyn Member

I basically agree w/ exactly what Burlbird said. Like when I read the question, I was like "gee I honestly have no idea." But then I read Burlbird's comment and yeah, that's general my sentiment. The mood itself may vary, but being focused, medicated (my adderall), and as non-distracted as I possibly can be.

If I'm really wanting to listen to music I generally can only read and write, or basically still concentrate while music is playing only if it's soft, melodic, classical, or something soothing, no words, no funky beats or anything, very melodic. I have a station on my Pandora and it's "Classical for Studying" I found that and thought "hell yeah, someone understands me on this issue!"

23. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

For me to write I generally need to have no obligations for the day (and ideally the next morning). I don't really know why, but if I have an obligation - such as somewhere to be a few hours later - I simply can't get in the right state of mind. If I have the day free writing comes much more naturally. I guess it allows me to get focused and relaxed.

WeWill77 likes this.
  24. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I can't say I absolutely need this, but it sure does help! I find it harder to write knowing I have some kind of appointment later in the day. I just keep looking at my watch, fiddling around getting ready for the appointment, wondering how slow the traffic will be, wondering whether I should leave a bit early to put gas in the car, checking my watch again, and so on and so on. Never actually getting any writing done.

If I have an appointment, I want it as early in the morning as possible, so I get it over with. Then I'm free to write for the rest of the day.

25. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

Kenjataimu

Seriously, if I sit still long enough, I will start to get distracted by my other brain so much that it must be "relieved" in order for me to concentrate. I know that sounds awful, but I think there is an incredible chemical imbalance in the brain when the little guy is bored.