1. Phil

Phil New Member

Does anyone know another word for 'Hello'?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Phil, Feb 2, 2009.

Hi everyone, my name is Phil, I'm 23 and originally from Manchester (UK) but am now living in London with my amazing wife of 4 years Jenna.

I'm currently in the British Army and have been for 6 years but I'll soon be moving back to civi-street to live a 'normal' life and to hopefully pursue writing.

I'm quite socially awkward so I apologize now if it comes across in my posts, but I can't help it :p

I've been an avid reader for quite a few years, but have only recently found myself trying to write. I saw this site and though it would be a good place to make some new friends and improve my writing ability.

I don't really have a genre or style, I just know that I love to write. So, with that I think I'll click 'Submit' and head off to write my first review, which incidentally, I'm quite nervous about.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Aloha Phil, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. Jack

Jack New Member

Hey Phil! Welcome to the WF!

<-- How about hi, hey, hai (My personal favorite), welcome, greetings, good day, bonjour (Although its in French), howdy-do, etc. There are many different variations of the word 'hello'.

Nice to meet you
    - Jack

4. Phil

Phil New Member

Thanks Jack, nice to meet you.

Btw I'm very impressed with your word power. I know where to come when I can't find the Thesaurus lol :p

5. Jack

Jack New Member

Yay! I know have my own personal user. :)

By the way, some people call me 'Jackaurus' :p

6. Aristocrazy

Aristocrazy New Member

hai gai !!!!!!!

hmmm.... when you put it that way it's so superficial though D:

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

well, aside from 'hi!' there's always:

hafa adai! [what we say here on tinian, in chamorro]
    bon jour!
    buon giorno!
    buenas dias!
    bom dia!
    καλημέρα!

all of which i wish you, new member... along with:

welkom!
    willkommen!
    benvenuto!
    bienvenue!
    υποδοχή!
    [et al.]

love and hugs, maia

love and hugs, maia

8. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Shalom! ;) Welcome to the WF. I'm a relatively new member as well, so we can continue to explore the forums together. I think you'll find it's a really great place to be regardless of writing preferences.

9. Phil

Phil New Member

Thanks for all the nice comments.

BTW this place is great, I was on for about 3-4 hours the other night and it seemed like seconds. How the time flies by!

This place is worse than World of Warcraft lol!

10. Evil Ferret of Randomness

Evil Ferret of Randomness New Member

Houston, Texas! (We don't ride horses, and no one
    I'll say, Phil, that I prefer a very simple 'Ello!

Jack is a dinosaur!? O__o"
    OMG! LOST NEEDS TO STOP MAKING PLOT TWISTS! :D

11. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

Hi Phil. Nice to meet you...again.
    That's funny, I got married at 19 too. Is it common to marry so young where you're from? I'm sure it's an interesting story. :)

Enjoy the forum!

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

is that considered 'so young' nowadays?... i married at 19, back in 58, by 24 was pg with #5 of an eventual 7 [last 2 in 2nd marriage]!... do NOT follow in my footsteps, kids!!!

13. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

LOL, yes. I'm sorry to say it is. But I also think it's mostly cultural (and largely due to 'extended adolesence'). In Los Angeles, people are shocked to learn that I've been married 10 years and have 3 kids at the age of 30 (they prefer waiting till they're 35 to start having kids here). I'd love to see their reaction to your story. :D

In my Tennessee home town, girls still get married in and fresh out of high school, but it's almost always due to babe out-of-wedlock. :(

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This discussion really shouldn't continue in an intro thread. This is Phil's thread.

15. Phil

Phil New Member

lol I don't mind.

I got married at 20 and my wife was 18.

The main reason for getting married is because I was based in Germany at the time for the next 2 years so we got married so that we could be together as the Army doesn't recognise unmarried couples.

Doesn't sound too romantic but it was. We met in the summer, I proposed at Christmas and we got married the next summer and moved to Germany together.

During that first year we spent, probably a total of 2 months together (spread out over the year) as I was in Germany. It was a blessing in disguise though because we got to know each other over the phone with no other distraction, just the two of us.

And we have been married nearly 4 years now and are living back in the UK.

16. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

:redface: Sorry...

That's cool Phil. Sounds like you've done some traveling and had an interesting marriage. :)