1. Quillblade

Quillblade New Member

Does anyone know where to look for relationship symbolism guides?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Quillblade, Oct 22, 2012.

I am having quite a conundrum.

I'm working on something with poetic symbolism involved. What I am looking for is a reference of symbols that pertain to relationships. Specifically ones of tranquility and harmony between friends (and/or lovers). This is actually going to be used in a picture rather than a written work, so it's visual symbolism I'm looking for specifically, but knowing these symbols will be really useful for writing as well.

So far Google has failed me, horribly. So I figured my next step was to find a writing and poetry forum.

2. DannyA

DannyA New Member

Firstly, you'll find that different religions and cultures have different symbols for all manner of things - and what one symbol means in one of them, may mean something slightly different in another. So it may be worthwhile having an idea of which culture you want to use and/or if you want it to have any religious significance.

Secondly, and this may sound strange, one of the best places to find this kind of symbolism (apart from Google) is your local tattoo parlour!!!

3. Quillblade

Quillblade New Member

A tattoo parlor is an awesome idea! I can't quite get transportation up to one in a timely manner, and I live in a city that's very conservative about these types of things. There aren't many tattoo parlors in town.

As far as religious symbolism goes - I have to be careful in this instance because the picture is important to two people of different faiths. I want to avoid western religious symbolism. However, it seems your suggestion gave me the right Google Voodoo words. I've found some interesting stuff in far eastern religions that seems to fit (endless knot, for example).

4. sharonwagoner

sharonwagoner New Member

I agree with the other person who replied, we need to know which culture you wish to draw your symbol from.

Yin Yang symbolizes balance for the orient. The love knot (like a pretzel) would be a Germanic symbol for unity.

Give me a bit more on what you want, and I think that I can help you.

5. Quillblade

Quillblade New Member

I think Taoist symbolism could work well here. I don't think Buddhist symbolism would bother either of them, either. If I were to guess based on their interests, I would draw from Japanese or Korean culture.

This art is part of an apology from one friend to another. My intuition tells me the symbolic meaning should be tranquility and harmony between the two, without making any statement about any deeper romantic feelings between them. "Friends" but not "just friends".

Sorry if this is still vague - people are confusing.

6. sharonwagoner

sharonwagoner New Member

After a bitter quarrel, some resentment remains.
    What can one do about it?
    Being content with what you have
    is always best in the end.

Someone must risk returning injury with kindness,
    or hostility will never turn to goodwill.
    So the wise always give without expecting gratitude.

One with true virtue always seeks a way to give.
    One who lacks true virtue always seeks a way to get.
    To the giver comes the fullness of life:
    to the taker, just an empty hand.
    79th Verse
    Tao Te Ching

Would forgiveness work. Try forgiveness characters on Oriental Outpost.

7. Fivvle

Fivvle Member

I think I heard somewhere that an olive tree signifies such a thing?

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

methinks you merely need to be more creative with your googling... as with computers, it's a matter of 'gigo'... the more specific you make the search terms, the easier it is to get the results you need...

9. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

I've read some beautiful passages where imagery and metaphors are taken from things that might not necessarily seem romantic or symbolic of relationships but that have been manipulated in a beautiful way. You can get creative with this, there's no reason something simple can't be used