1. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

freelancing?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by lilix morgan, Apr 20, 2009.

So recently I've been thinking of doing a little freelancing, you know, to get my name out here and there, generate a little extra cash, and learn a bit more about the business I'll be stepping into soon enough.

One small, small problem: I have no clue where to start with this. I have the topics I know I can do, and I've got a few magazines/websites in mind, but otherwise I'm lost. Do I have to send a query/pitch letter to each one? How does one go about doing this? Has anyone else done this on here and can give me some pointers?

2. thegearheart

thegearheart New Member

I'd start by hitting up the local papers. It's how I got to write some articles. I don't count those as "published" credits, though. I wouldn't claim them! You can also see if there are lifestyle mags in your area that would let you help. Expect crap pay for boring articles, but if you really want to freelance, start locally.

You can also attempt to become a contributor to many blogs out there. I'm sure some of them wouldn't mind some free work.

I've also edited several books. The edits won't stick when the book goes to the publisher (meaning that they won't put your name on it- they have their own people look over it), but the money is good, and it's fun to polish the work of others.

Find local writers' groups online with Yahoo!Groups and see if you can meet with them. There will always be someone with a pet novel that needs help.

3. JavaMan

JavaMan New Member

I've been thinking of doing the same, so I searched Yahoo! with keywords such as outsourcing writers, freelance writers, etc. What I found is that there are websites that will allow you to bid for jobs on the net. Many of them are foriegn companies that need good English speakers to write blogs, ads, reviews - things like that.

Won't get paid much - but all it takes is time.....

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...uh, if you DO any freelancing, you will be IN the business...

...yes... but you'd better have articles completed, polished, ready to submit, before querying, because as a complete unknown new writer, no one's going to contract for work they don't know whether you can write, or not...

...i free-lanced for years, while also running a high-paying [up to $150/hr] writing consultant business... how you go about it is first, make sure you can write well enough that people will pay you for what you turn out... then, write articles you think you can sell... then start submitting them to venues that take that sort of stuff... then, wait... and wait... and write some more and submit some more and wait some more... and don't give up the day job!...

5. archer88i

archer88i Banned Contributor

Actually, getting your name in the papers next to the word "by" can be pretty helpful if you're looking for some sort of credibility as a professional. Try to keep in mind that column-inches don't come cheap, and if the editor is willing to waste them on you (somewhere other than the editorial page), they probably think your work is worth something.

...on the other hand, freelancing for a local newspapers is to earning money as skipping rope is to making donuts...

6. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

very interesting topic, I must seriously look more into this. One of my favourite authors, Clifford D. Simak, wrote for the papers by day and droned out short SF stories by night, always working on his art.