1. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Starting With a Fight Scene

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Gallowglass, Aug 8, 2011.

Poor Domhnall. I've had him wee up a tree, get thrown into the River Thames, beaten up by bodyguards, and get whacked in the face by a sword. But I'm still no closer to doing the introduction. I've been thinking of starting in the middle of a fight scene, but heard some talk on other forums that that was a bad idea.

What does everyone here think of it?

2. Leah

Leah Member

My personal feeling is if it is written well, grips the reader and doesn't leave them in a wake of confusion, go for it.

I always love when I read a book or short story that starts in a new way and has me hooked to read on.

Good luck!

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Nothing wrong, inherently, with starting in the middle of a fight scene. It's all in the implementation. If that's what appeals to you, give it a shot and see what the end product looks like.

4. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

As long as I know who I'm supposed to root for, I don't see a problem with it.

5. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

Starting with a fight scene is a cheap way to start off. Its used in many stories, and it usually fails at masking terrifyingly underdeveloped characters.

If you must start off with one, at least hint at which side the reader should sympathesize with. Or give the reader a character they can be interested in who participates in the fight.

6. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

My Novel is starting off with a fight scene. Right then, there is no good or bad side as they are training. I think it's fine as long as it's written well, captures the readers attention, and does not make the reader confused as of what's going on.