Does Evil Need a Reason?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Elgaisma, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

Actually, all serial killers have a reason. It doesn't have to make sense to us, only to them. That's why we call them insane. Some believe killing certain types of people (blondes, tall people, etc) is an act of revenge against the person who (possibly) did some severe mental damage to them.

Anyway, I like the idea of an enemy not having a higher reason, or being turned into a monster because of their environment.

2. Kheaous Amos Destra

Kheaous Amos Destra New Member

study

for a good look at a strange line between good and evil try to watch the anime Gun X sword it has one of the strangest "Bad guys " i've come across and he really isn't evil just well... watch it and see.

3. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

I think it would be fun to create a story where the characters are not easily marked with good and evil, but the reader decides via their actions. I wish Heroes was made that way.

4. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

That's one of the things that makes season 3 of Fringe so good- both sides are fighting for just causes. If there is an overarching evil, it's being kept out of sight.

5. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

So excited....almost caught up.

6. danielperson75

danielperson75 New Member

All stories deserve depth, I don't know how successful you have or have not been, but I agree that without depth, it is flat, Michael Meyers, from halloween had no explanation for his Evil, he was and it was interesting, the DEPTH that made Michael Meyers "Deep" was his family, so sometimes the depth can hinge in outer beings and supporting details, rather than just beaming them down from Zepton and saying they like to kill for the sake of killing, I would truly find some more inspiration to have my stories sound more inspired. Hope this helps you

7. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

Evil always needs a reason. Even if it's a hidden reason. At least a reason. I don't care if it's because he likes pancakes, therefore, your MC, who doesn't, must be slaughtered brutally, it's better than no reason.

8. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Well I have now given a reason to my character - she isn't evil she is actually good however she controls evil.

It has allowed me to set up a wonderful fun paradox in my book - with sometimes the good action being for the ultimate evil, and the evil action being for the ultimate good, and shows the insanity that this produces in both my antagonist and protagonist. Book ends with them equal - it is a long painful road back for both of them.

9. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

I think evil needs a reason - it adds depth to their character as well as alluding to a past that could offer valuable information to their behavior. I don't think evil can exist without a reason but I'm no psychologist. Perhaps make your character a sociopath, that's about as close as you can get to pure evil without a reason.

10. Midnight Pete

Midnight Pete New Member

Why did the Devil possess Regan MacNeil in The Excorcist? Evil people usually have a motive for the evil things they do, but what about Evil Itself?

11. afrodite7

afrodite7 New Member

- i think evil with no reason but being evil only works in straight up,pure horror.heck,even in horror,evil can have a reason,(saw movies!).however,i'd say the evil with depth usually works better.it examines the evil and deconstructs it which is usually more interesting.and i like the blurred line between good and evil thing.it should be done more often,boy-scout girl-scout ,goody two-shoes heroes suck...

12. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

You need to be evil to truly understand the motivation of evil.