Novel Does it matter that I write sooooo slooooowly?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Dave Gregory, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Ancientunion

Ancientunion New Member

If you have not realised;
    I think writing a bit more slower will give you time to read your sentences, to see If you got perfect grammar or adjectives and proper capitals and fullstops and to also see If your spelling makes sense,

Also, library teachers sometimes tell the kids, that books, like LOTR and Harry Potter take about 1 month to create and a other month to try get the large book published to the world.

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I hope they don't tell kids that. Most books like LOTR and Harry Potter take a lot more than a month to create. Usually they take at least a year, often several years. It can also take over a year to get a book published, even after it has been accepted by a publisher.

3. Ancientunion

Ancientunion New Member

I said take about, sorry I had to say that you could have red It :p

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'take about' next to '1 month' does not = a year or several years, by any stretch of the imagination, so don't get sarcastic with minstrel for pointing out the reality, as i'm sure he did 'red' what you wrote...

i also have to wonder where you heard that?... and what do you mean by 'library teachers'?...

average publishing time is actually 18 months to 2 years from the time one signs a contract to when the book appears in bookstores...

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Also, a first novel always takes the longest to write, because you are not only creating a novel. You are creating a writer. You learn so much in the process of writing that first novel will be rewritten many times as the writer's ability develops.

6. jwideman

jwideman New Member

Thanks! :D

7. Tikilemon91

Tikilemon91 New Member

I've sometimes had this worry, but I've put it to one side and carried on writing in the way that feels natural to me.

If you really can't construct what you want to say the first time around, write it in a basic style and carry on writing. There's plenty of opportunities to go back and change what you've written-what comes out first time round should not be the definitive draft.

I also agree with what others have said about writing as often as you can. It's difficult to stop/start during a story as you can lose the storyline and emotions. If you write frequently (even if it is little and often) you may find that your writing comes out a lot smoother and you feel better about it :)

8. BBolin

BBolin New Member

I suffer from the same problem. . . I've spent days rewriting the same paragraph until I thought it was (near) perfect. I just think it means that we have very little confidence in our abilities as writers right now-not necessarily that it's not any good-once we have more work under our belts it'll probably come a bit easier.

9. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

To help me write faster, well move along at a faster pace, i jot every idea down in a note book, read through and place in the correct order. I then i have a skeleton of a story which I can flesh out, this helps get rid I would say of at least 60% of the cursed staring at the ceiling waiting for inspiration, (we all do it) that takes a lot of our time. And like everyone else says revise later. Do a chapter and force your self not to go through it until you have put that final full stop in. On the next one time yourself :p.