1. GrowthinRecovery

GrowthinRecovery Banned

Does My Situation Put Me in A Better Position for Publishcation?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by GrowthinRecovery, Jul 5, 2013.

OK, so I started my blog back in April. Ever since then I have been using it as to identify myself on the web. So my question is, if you become successful in getting published and writing does it also make your Usernames of similar name somewhat valuable?

2. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Are you asking, if you have a few followers of your blog, will your chances of becoming traditionally published, markedly improved? If so I doubt it, unless you are famous, like a rockstar or sportstar or some other personality. Or unless you have a few squillion followers.

Maybe if the followers you have, like your stuff, it is a ready made audience to successfully self ePub...

3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I'm not certain what you mean, exactly, by whether your user name will become more valuable. If you're trying to increase your profile, especially your online profile (which is recommended and expected), you should be using your real name.

It's not so much that you'll have an advantage by increasing your online profile as it is that you'll be at a disadvantage if you don't.

4. u.v.ray

u.v.ray New Member

Like Erebh & Chicagoliz I don't understand your wording.

However, if you're asking whether keeping a blog can aid your success as a writer -- yes it can. Quite a few writers have initially used their blog to serialise a novel, and having gained a substantial readership, have then secured a contract with a publisher.

If that's not what you're asking then you'll have to re-phrase your question.

5. GrowthinRecovery

GrowthinRecovery Banned

I have a Growth In Recovery related account on almost everything. If I happen to become a published author does this give monetary stock or value to my various account names or display of Growth In Recovery on my blog? Does possessing these screen names give me an advantage when attempting to get published? Does it look better for the publisher?

6. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I don't think it makes a lot of difference. Sure it can help, and I don't see how it could hurt. But in and of itself, it's not going to get you published. I don't see how it looks "better" for the publisher. It's a marketing device, and one I'm sure that can provide some marginal benefit. But it's the substance of your book that's going to count.

7. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I see this guy is pulling out all the stops.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I concur.

9. EdFromNY

"Give 'em the old razzle-dazzle,
    "Razzle-dazzle 'em..."

10. u.v.ray

u.v.ray New Member

Tao Lin initially built up a huge following online that helped him gain a publishing contract. He then sold the rights to his Myspace account to some company for a substantial amount.

11. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

If what you're trying to do is make your username valuable enough to sell for profit, then I think you're probably getting ahead of yourself. Think of a way to increase your followers first, then write that book you wanted and get a publisher first (or self-pub, as you wish), increase followers some more. THEN look and see if your name might be worth anything.

However, I don't really see why anyone would want to buy an account called Growth in Recovery. It's honestly not the most catchy name and it's awfully generic. For a name to be useful I imagine it needs to be strongly linked to a service or brand or theory, or whatever it is you're trying to promote - if everyone in the world hears "Growth in Recovery" and straight away connect it with, I dunno, homoeopathy combined with a series of yoga (or whatever), then yes, anyone else selling the same service or providing that sort of advice would want to buy your account. Think, for example, Coco-Cola, McDonald's, Tesco, Disney. In the Czech Republic, equivalents would be Billa, Albert, Eidam, Heremlin, Mattoni. Or Oprah, Jerry Springer, X Factor/Idols, America's Next Top Model.

In the realm of books, I can think of Twilight, Harry Potter, LOTR, but now it's getting quite specific, linked to specific worlds and characters, meaning they really aren't all that useful for someone else to buy, unless they've produced a related product and want to use your name - but in that case they might just pay for the right to do so rather than buy your accounts.

Essentially, you're building a brand.

However, to build yourself up to such an extent as to become synonymous with a product is no small feat. And to do so in relation to a book is probably even harder.

12. EdFromNY

Sounds like a plan! I don't think this guy cares so much about how he gets there as just getting there.

Wherever "there" is.