1. TheDarkWriter

TheDarkWriter Active Member

What do you think of my main character?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by TheDarkWriter, Oct 15, 2015.

Okay he's not a nice guy he's not very empathetic this is because he's been through a lot of crap and no one helped him so he became very jaded. He will laugh and mock any good guy saying "Oh wow you just love being a hero don't you?"

He's also not above hitting women like if a woman comes at him with a knife he'll mess her up. He usually just minds his business and only gets involved with something if he has no choice.

2. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

I can think of like 10 characters like that off the top of my head. You might want to provide a bit more detail for a better rating.

3. Aidan Stern

Aidan Stern Active Member

Good basics. I have a Character Guide that may help you. It's actually a Character Analysis for some book, but it gives a really nice breakdown of the components of a character without mentioning the intended book's characters a lot. I have a link and download to it. Just PM me with your email address and I'll be more than happy to give it to you.

Aerisfullofwhimsy likes this.
  4. TheDarkWriter

TheDarkWriter Active Member

He was molested by his mother when he got older he brutally murdered her he also raped her as revenge for the years of sexual abuse. He doesn't get along with women because of this he has more compassion for men then women. However when asked for help his response is always the same for example he runs into a teenage girl/boy whose being abused and his response to when she begs him for help is to give her a gun/knife and say "You now have the tools to free yourself what happens next is your choice."

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  5. Starfire Fly

Starfire Fly Member

I would put the book down as soon as I learned this, or even return it to the bookstore if I'd already bought it.

6. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

Now I got to ask. What do you mean by what do I think of him?

Structurally a character that had a bad childhood and tries to act good in spite of many of his actions seeming bad. This works. It is context. It sounds like he from a nightmare-ish realm and he is the closest thing to a hero. About right?

Do I find him interesting? Not really. But that is more because I don't like the nightmare-ish like set up. So my not liking it doesn't make it bad.

7. Australis

Australis Active Member

I have a female character who thinks men are stupid for not thinking like this.

But..., your character sounds a little too ugly for my tastes.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  8. Aerisfullofwhimsy

Aerisfullofwhimsy Member

Man, I don't know...I do think he is interesting. But you need to give him some more redeeming qualities, besides arming troubled teens with weapons. As sweet of him as that is, it is a bit irresponsible. Honestly, I am not above hitting anyone either if they come at me with a knife, man,woman, child or lampshade. His past is rough, but I don't think that should be omitted. Maybe it would work if you made him gain empathy throughout the story (soon enough though for the reader to sense some growth). You can make it work, but there needs to be an obvious character progression.

9. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

What is his character arc? Unless this is a horror novel, most readers are going to want him to redeem himself by rising above his past rather than letting it consume him and lead to a life of violence and hatred. That's not to say you HAVE to do that, but it will be harder to pull it off if you don't, IMO.

From what you've said here, I can sympathise with him even if I don't agree with his actions. The abused can and do become abusers themselves, although exacting the kind of revenge you've described is very unlikely. I could just about buy it for the sake of a good story. He sounds very lonely and unhappy and I can't hate him for that.

10. Aidan Stern

Aidan Stern Active Member

Dark writer indeed. I have a few pretty dark stories. Or rather, stories that have the topics of a darker genre. I've found that a dark story can't be entirely in the abyss. There do need to be a few lighter aspects, otherwise it gets to be too much for the reader. Some readers can handle it, like die hard horror fans, but even then...
    Is he self-destructive? You have the basics down alright, but to make a more solid character, search for accounts of people who have gone through or know people who have gone through this sort of thing. Analyze their personalities, how they view the world, how others view them, etc. As Tenderiser said, "revenge" is a bit much. I do understand your thinking, though.

11. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Seems like an interesting character. Whether or not he's engaging depends on how you write him. You've got the building blocks for a lot of conflict, you've got room for character development, so yeah, seems pretty interesting. I personally like dark themes and characters, and certainly can't say people like him didn't exist, so go ahead, start writing already! ;)

12. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

Sounds like the ground work for a basic anti hero but I don't know what he's been through.