Tags:
  1. PAwriterwannabe

PAwriterwannabe New Member

What can I write in the script?

Discussion in 'Scripts and screenplays' started by PAwriterwannabe, Sep 15, 2007.

Whenever I write scripts I tend to include set and blocking but a few people lately have been telling me not to do this as these topics are for the director to decide upon.

Anyone want to give me their professional opinion? I'd appreciate it a lot.

Thanks.

Dan

2. Koosha

Koosha New Member

Some blocking is necessary, but you should give the director room to customize it to work best for him/her. If you include blocking in your play, it's best to keep it in the minimum, or else every time a group of people act out your play, there will be absolutely no variation in movements. It's like when you watch different people performing the same, exact thing; it gets boring. And when they're all doing the same thing, how can you honestly say who was better than the other?

So, if you include blocking, just keep it to a minimum.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This should be in the Writing Issues -> Creations -> Scripts and Screenplays forum, and you'll probably get better responses there. I'll move it there later today.

You may even find some answers there in existing threads.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

assuming you're referring to stage play scripts and not those for film/tv, you should include some set description, but leave the blocking detail to the director, unless you're both writer and director...