1. Akarevaar

Akarevaar Member

Traditional plot structure in a more 'character driven' story?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Akarevaar, Aug 31, 2015.

Most (if not all) of my previous short stories, novels and novellas have been genre works. For the longer works, I've more or less stuck to the 3 Act/ Aristotle's incline structure. However, my newest work is a lot different. I'm hesitant to class it is 'literary', since it definitely does have a plot and isn't completely introspective, but it certainly doesn't feel like my previous projects. For a work like this, should I still try stick to three act structure? Or do I have a bit more wiggle room plot wise?

2. Kittophoros

Kittophoros Member

I think that a story that defies three act structure (and pulls it off) is always a very refreshing read. My background is in theatre, which (as I'm sure you know) is where this structure has its origins, and I'm always more impressed with plays that do a lot of work to make sure the characters are what shine. I say throw structure out the window, even if it is only as an experiment!