1. Doclazerus

Doclazerus New Member

Does your own writing ever choke you up?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Doclazerus, May 10, 2016.

The title of this post really says it all. But I feel like I have problems a lot when I'm brainstorming/writing etc...and I get to points related to powerful emotions. Especially points of sacrifice and character deaths. I put a lot of work into my characters, so when I decide one needs to die, I try to make it powerful, meaningful, or reflective of their impact on the story. This tends to make it hard for me to write these segments. Even though I know its fiction, I feel as though its a part of my soul on the screen or on the paper.

I've never been one to avoid death in stories. I love it when its used well, as it creates a lasting impact. However it never fails to choke me up. Does anyone have this problem? Does anyone have a method to deal with this? I know I just need to grit my teeth and get through it....but boy....it is rough for me.

Oscar Leigh and jannert like this.
  2. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Yep. I suspect most writers know this. Me too.

And no, I haven't found a method to deal with it. Cherish the leaps and falls, or try to. I know when you are stuck in one it is a bit difficult. On the off-chance to be named silly, but for me the more dense the story becomes the deeper the weight I feel. When some emotions get mixed in while writing a scene this is a maelstrom from hell, or heaven depending.

And I will go and write some more *nods*. A 'deep' scene :D

3. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

If you can't get upset over the dramatic death of one of your characters, how can you expect a reader to feel anything for them?

I've written death scenes that had me tearing up, sex scenes that got me horny, and triumphs that had me swelling with pride for the character. Don't know how well it translated to the reader, but that's the whole trick to this.

Oscar Leigh, jannert and Lifeline like this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Funny I posted a thread exactly like this last night. What are the odds now? Huh.

jannert likes this.
  5. Lifeline

@Cave Troll : We were not ready for you :D

6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

You have your finger on the pulse of this forum! :)

Cave Troll likes this.
  7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I certainly feel for my characters, and find some scenes difficult to write because they are either sad or painful.

8. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

I encounter this with both my fiction and non-fiction work. What I've learned, is that if a piece reduces me to tears my (non-fiction) editor will love it. I don't have a fiction editor yet, but did win an award for a short fiction piece that left tear stains on my key boards, so I'd say, don't shy away from the emotions.

One thing that helps is putting distance between yourself and the writing. Go ahead and write the scene, then just keep working on the next scene, chapter, whatever. After a couple weeks or a month, when you've had time to process the emotions, then you can go back and edit. It's never as painful the second or third time through. Good luck.

Lifeline likes this.
  9. Lifeline

Aehm. I beg to differ. Recent conversion :D

10. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

I didn't say it wasn't painful the second or third time through. I still get misty, but it is easier. The story of mine that ran in January still makes me misty, and the final draft of that was turned into the editor in November. Time doesn't heal all wounds, but it does dull the pain.

11. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Well for a man that never sleeps (barely is much more accurate) yeah I kinda do... At three this morning I was up and answered a conversation post that came from across the drink. :supergrin:

So you might say I see quite a bit, not much escapes me. And I still find the time to write, it is like a full time job I tells ya. Pay could be better though. :supergrin:

jannert likes this.
  12. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

Yes.
    I just have a good blubber and move on.

13. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

What's oddly more difficult for me is when a character pisses me off. I can keep writing--usually--to help myself move through the grief of a character death or betrayal, but sometimes a character will do something which really pisses me off and I have to go have a good fume. Then I realize, "You literally made this fictional character do this imaginary thing. Dumbass. Get back to work."

14. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

The death of a character doesn't choke me up. I find it exhilarating, in most cases. The reason for this is that I have a very strong sense of who my characters are. If one of them must die in the story, it means he's fulfilling the demands of his character; he is fulfilling his destiny. His death helps him become who he is meant to be. The manner of his death also helps him become who he is meant to be. If he shies away from his destiny, he diminishes himself as a character and I can no longer admire him.

The closest I've gotten to being choked up by my own writing was in this situation: I wrote a story in which a character fights and fights against anyone and anything in order to achieve a goal, but when he finally achieves it, he suddenly realizes that he didn't want it in the first place, and all his fighting has cost him the one chance he will ever have to really achieve a better life and fulfill his destiny. He let fear dictate his actions and realized that was a huge mistake. To me, that's a tragic ending and it nearly brought me to tears.

15. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

I killed a MC because I was bored with her & I wanted her boyfriend to suffer.

16. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I killed a toddler's father so that she could be abused by her "uncle".

Does it help that the story has a happy ending, and that the happy ending was what inspired it?

Because it didn't help me, the first time through.

17. tumblingdice

tumblingdice Member

I'm not affected by character deaths exactly, but certain topics like bullying, suicide, drug abuse, etc can get to me. I've never teared up writing about them (I'm not THAT good) but I've felt very drained afterwards, sometimes needing a good nap to 'recover'.