1. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Does your signifigant other like to write too?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TerraIncognita, Jun 24, 2010.

I'm asking this just because I am curious (as usual). Does your significant other like to write too? Zack (boyfriend) does and we bounce ideas off eachother a lot. Even though the genres we like to write are totally different. So another couple of questions.. Do you brainstorm together? Do you write in the same genres or different ones?

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

Nope. My boyfriend reads what I write, and offers suggestions, but he doesn't write himself. We both compose though, so we work together on that from time to time, although our styles are pretty different. But with writing, I need to be alone generally, so I shut myself away for a few hours every now and again and write while he plays stupid RPGs or something XD

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Nope: my girlfriend and I are two very different people.
    She sometimes likes me to read out a few things to her, but that's it.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Nope. She barely finds time to read. She's highly intelligent, and loves to curl up with a good book when she can, but her life is just too hectic. She would never have the patience to sit down and write. :)

5. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Yep. Matt loves writing, he's like a machine when he gets going. That's probably why he's been published a good few times in the Sci-Fi genre, and yet I've never had anything but non-fiction published.

He's helpful, ecouraging, and has helped me alot when it comes to editing. He gives me suggestions and we go through ideas for our stories together.

When we're not writin, we like to cuddle up and read books together. He reads mostly sci-fi and I like to read horror and contemporary.

If I didn't have his encouragement, I'd probably be nowhere. I probably wouldn't even be at university, in truth.

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

No. The idea bores my boyfriend to tears. We have very different interests which suits us both just fine. We are very individualistic.

7. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Joel tells me occasionally of ideas he has that would be fun to write about if he wanted to, but no, he doesn't write anything. Sometimes I ask him for input about what I'm working on, but I don't really like talking to others about what I'm writing while I'm writing it. When I try to explain what's in my head out loud, it always comes off sounding more stupid than it probably is, and then I get discouraged...

8. Nobeler Than Lettuce

Nobeler Than Lettuce New Member

Nonnie and I met on the WF so of course we both like to write. She's said she likes my poetry and I really like hers too. We both have different styles and I think Nonnie's got a few ups on me, but it's cool to read and compare.

Of course the hard thing is how we colored our writing before we met, and how we do it now that we know both of us could read it. I'm shy like that so I mostly haven't written or posted since.

Nonnie hasn't asked me to read anything like a short story yet, but I look forward to it.

Though, she's an amazing photographer and takes really cool pictures, and I like photography but have never been artistic with it. I think it's cool that she can share her talent with me, and it always makes me beam.

1 person likes this.
  9. TerraIncognita

Thanks for sharing guys. :) Nobeler I agree. Nonnie is very photogenic. :)

Arron both me and Zack are like that. We both have to be totally alone when we write. I like to listen to music when I do and he has to have total silence. hehe

Cogito saying she would never have patience to write made me laugh. Reminds me of one of my friends. Well, she writes but she almost always needs to be moving! She absolutely hates sitting still! haha

Oh Hidden, I hear you on that one. I always worry my ideas are stupid or too far fetched. Zack and my friends who read my stuff are always very encouraging though. :love: And they are right. If you love an idea don't give up on it or think it's stupid.

Wreybies and Lemex, well if you guys are happy together and work well together then it obviously doesn't matter if you share an interest in writing. :) Me and Zack have pretty diverse interests. He likes working on cars, working on computers, anything mechanical.. I like making art, cutting and polishing stones for jewelry, and making jewelry.. He's a lot more mechanically minded than me. I'm more abstract. hehe

10. Nonnie

Nonnie New Member

Farmville, VA. Yep, it's not just your least favor
    Man, it's weird seeing you talk about me. I love it! You make me sound so much cooler than I really am.

To clarify: I love your poetry, even the older ones that are most definately about someone else. It's still beautiful.

and, I've tried three times now to explain how helpful he is to me and all my creative pursuits but it all comes out very long-winded, sappy and a little trite. Safe to say, without him I wouldn't be doing much of anything, much less anything as beautiful as writing or photography. Sort of like what Ashleigh said about probably not being at university if it had not been for Matt, I know I wouldn't have any semblance of purpose without him letting me know I'm capable, and have the power to be better-- a priceless gift, really.

So basically, he's the best thing that's ever happened to me and my writing.

Dammit, it's still long-winded, sappy a little trite.

11. TerraIncognita

bahahaha sappy is permitted in this thread. ;)

12. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Yes, and he's a far better writer than I. He's written sci-fi, but loves to write children's fantasy and literary/historical fiction. We've only ever brainstormed together on a couple of my stories.

13. rainy

rainy New Member

No, but he's helpful by not coddling (hate coddling), and by leaving me the heck alone :)

14. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Yes he does... and he's way better than me, too. :p

15. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Awww, hun. You'd do just fine on your own, trust me. You're awesome.

But yeah, we brainstorm a lot about ideas, and read each other's work. Ashleigh gives me an invaluable external insight into my writing, and helped me solve my biggest consistent problem (which was that I was far too verbose). And not to mention that she called the first story I managed to get published.

And she can write pretty much anything she puts her hand to: horror, childrens'/YA, non-fiction :) Watch this space, she's gonna be something big.

16. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

My partner gets up for work at 6am and gets home at 8pm. So no.

We'll be moving to the city in a few months time. Which will cut 20 hours of travel. She always tyalks about "Her novel", so we'll she.

She does read about 20 books a month and loves talking about them, so i'd love to see her taking up the hobby.

17. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I must admit: I sometimes wish I had the sort of relationship with my girlfriend like Banzai and Ashleigh appear to have. It must be nice.

18. Ashleigh

:redface: Thankyou Matt x

Lemex, it's an excellent quality to have in common with one another, because as a young budding writer, I do feel that I need alot of encouragement and help to keep myself adjusted. We're able to be honest with one another without taking offense, and can bounce ideas off one another. Also, it's nice to have someone around that values the secrecy writers like to have about projects they're working on; if we can talk to eachother, then nobody else needs to know about it.

Also, I find it brings us alot closer. Some people need their partner to be their opposite, but personally, I needed someone who had alot in common with me, and Matt does. We can talk about books and writing aswell as our differences, and I think it's a great combination.

We do have some big differences though; we both want for different careers, so conversations never get tiresome, and our various pursuits keep things interesting.

I diiid call his first published story, though ;) Then again, I wouldn't even be at uni if it wasn't for his encouragement and help, so I owe alot to him.

19. TerraIncognita

Awww Ashleigh you and Banzai are so cute. :p Happy for you guys. :) I definitely agree that the encouragement of your bf is always helpful. Sometimes I would get so upset and frustrated with writer's block and Zack would help me take my mind off of it. He always said my creativity would come back. :love: He was right.

I'm sure you're really good to, Marina. The way you speak suggests you're good. Besides I'm sure you both have different strengths and weaknesses with writing and you can learn from eachother that way. I'm better at dialogue and Zack is better at making really interesting plots.

That's really good, Rainy! I can't write if someone is hovering. I have to be alone to write. :p

That's cool, Lydia. It's nice to have someone to write with.

Twenty hours?! That's nuts! I'm glad you guys are moving I bet that's stressful. I agree it would be awesome. Having someone share something you feel so strongly about is really amazing.

It is nice, Lemex. Perhaps you have another thing in common that is very important to you?

20. Ashleigh

Thanks Terra, lol. You and your boyfriend sound rather adorable yourselves. :-D

I guess people need support in varying ways, so it's not always necessary to have somebody who's also a writer by your side all the time.

I'm with you though, Terra; there are times when my lack of confidence gets to me so much that I become frustrated, and feel like giving up completely. It's times like that when you need someone to give you the glory-talk and make you feel as though your writing is worth a darn.

21. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    No, she lacks the patience. Sometimes I wish that she did, simply because it would open up another course of conversation. At the same time, I realize that the reason most of my relationships with people are so fleeting is because of how easy I can become bored with people and I can't think of anything more boring to my own mind than someone with a similar thought process to me.

22. TerraIncognita

Thanks. :)

It's true. Any kind of support is good. And the "glory-talk" is always welcome in such situations. :p I gave up for a short time when I first started because I abhorred my own writing. Then I had to be real with myself about it and accept that I was still very new to it. haha

Now I'm fairly happy with what I write. I don't let many people read it for fear I will learn I completely lack any skill. haha More because I put a lot of myself in my work and it's hard to share that initially.

Makes sense to me. Personally I generally find all people fascinating unless they are completely vapid. Or just totally lacking in mental capacity. Sadly there's lots of that where I live. :rolleyes:

23. natsuki

natsuki Active Member

My husband doesn't write. We read audiobooks together and he reads his own books, but he never tries writing. He thinks any thing I write is amazing because he says he would never be able to do the same lol

I don't have a problem with him not writing, people are different.

I just don't like when he doesn't let me write ¬¬

24. Ashleigh

O_O Your husband? Woah, sorry to go off-topic slightly, but your profile says you're just 19! You're married already? :eek:

25. natsuki

natsuki Active Member

LOL
    I usually call him my boyfriend, because I am young and people think it is weird, but he is my husband.

I met him when I was fifteen years old, started dating at 16 and I had some issues with my parents, and he lived 750km away from me, so I moved to his house (when I was 17). We got married this year, im nineteen now :)

It is not thaaaat odd around here (Brazil), but it's still a little odd :)

1 person likes this.