Does your signifigant other like to write too?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TerraIncognita, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Hmm. I dont have a boyfriend at the moment, but I was with a fellow writer for about a year. He loved that I shared a passion for writing; to him, nothing was better than us just sitting on the couch all night bouncing ideas off each other and sharing stories, or just sitting with our laptops and writing for hours and hours and hours.

I was not so enthusiastic about it though, honestly, because I always felt like crap. He was so much more prolific and talented than I was, and I felt like I couldnt keep up with him in neither quality nor quantity. It transformed what was once my preferred method of escapism into a pressuring activity that I dreaded for quite a long time.

I dated another guy for a while who was and still is a very talented cinematographer. I loved that working relationship we had. Often, he'd have these grand ideas, and he'd come to me and ask me about scripts and titles and phrasing of lines, about how words might change the film and alter its meaning or imply a theme he wanted to stress. I liked working toward the same goal but in different areas of expertise because I didnt feel like I was competing with him, but he still encouraged me to be my best and to keep working.

Then again, the first guy had a bit of superiority complex anyway while the second was much more supportive. Maybe if I date another writer, it'll be more pleasant. :)

Edit: Oh, and congratulations on your recent marriage, Natsuki! You are so lucky to have found someone you want to spend the rest of your life with so young. Also, I've always wanted to visit Brazil. :)

2. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Wowee! It certainly seems strange to me, because you're only a couple of months older than me and I couldn't imagine being married! I'm far too immature, lol!

I do know of a couple people our age in my town, whom I went to school with, who are married now. But that's because they have babies o_O

Even still, I admire your commitment to one another, and I hope you have a long and happy marriage! ;)

Merc, I share your feelings when it comes to quality and quantity...I can't match my boyfriend either. He seems to write like a machine, reems and reems of stories, and yet I don't. He's also had fiction published, and I feel like I'm a world away from that ever working out for me. I'm proud of him, but it's a bit sucky for me.

3. natsuki

natsuki Active Member

Thank you, Ashleigh :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Sometimes you have to question if people like Matt and my ex ever sleep. :p Because all anyone thinks is, "How can you do this while also doing that so well, on top off all those other things you do?"

I obviously dont know you or Matt but it doesnt seem to be a competition between you at all, so I bet it's a lovely thing to have someone who shares the same passions you do. With my ex it was always a contest. Oh, well. I'm about to do everything I've always dreamed of while he's... not. So I win in the end. :)

Also, if you're not published soon, we obviously need new publishers because those people dont know how to do their jobs if they turn you down. ;) Havent read tons of your work as you dont usually post it here anymore, but I've enjoyed the short stories that have had your name attached to them.

5. Ashleigh

^ Oh blagh! The stuff I used to post on here is embarrassing to even think of now. :redface: I like to think -or hope!- I've gotten better since. Thanks though, Mercy. :-D

I know what you mean...he does heaps of work for his Law degree and still manages to pump out story after story. I'm doing Creative And Media writing as a degree, so for him to be publishing already is just a tad humiliating, lol. I say a 'tad' though, because you're right, I don't feel like i'm competing.

I've not seen your work either, but I'll bet you're alot better than you give yourself credit for, Mrs! ;)

6. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

I don't really get competitive with writing. Jealous sometimes. I usually get jealous when I've not had creative output for a long period of time. Remember quantity isn't nearly as important as quality. I have a feeling there was more at play there (such as the superiority complex) if he was making you feel like it was a competition. Which isn't right. Writing is not a competition it's an art form and there are many expressions of it. :)

I guess that's one of the nice things about me and Zack having different genres we like to write. The two can't really compare so it never feels like a competition. Then again I suppose anything can be made into a competition with the right, er, wrong person. :rolleyes:

Why doesn't he let you write? :(

This doesn't shock me because my parents got married at eighteen. Although I couldn't have imagined getting married at that age myself. But then there were a lot of other things going on then.. haha

7. Ashleigh

^ Same here, my mother married my father when she was 19, and he was 21. By the time she was 22, they'd already got a mortgage and were living in the same 3 bedroom semi-dettached we live in now.

Crazy stuff. :eek:

I suppose it's just because people our age have less reason to grow up that I find it so weird nowdays. Back then they'd finish high school and that was it, life as an adult begun. Jobs, marriage, and children. We have so many more options now.

8. TerraIncognita

I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that. I was in such a weird place at nineteen. The past two years have been spent trying to set things back in order again.

9. natsuki

natsuki Active Member

Terra - Well, Bruno(my husband) gets a little jealous if I spend a lot of time writing. And when I start, I usually don't wanna stop lol
    But that is actually my fault. I have problems organizing my schedule...

10. TerraIncognita

Ah, well it happens. :p Sometimes the creative urge takes hold and there is just no stopping it. :rolleyes: I suppose he'll learn that in time.

11. Karwedsky

Karwedsky Member

My wife has always shown an interest in writing too, but she won't sit down and try it very often. She is a very impatient and can't seem to sit still long enough to finish any writing. I was in a short story workshop last year and she seemed to enjoy helping me with my writing. She helps me with grammar and editing, because she is much better at it than I am.

12. TerraIncognita

Sounds like you guys make a good team. :)

13. lovely

lovely New Member

My husband doesn't write. He claims that he isn't creative at all. I don't believe that a person can be entirely uncreative, but what I've seen so far has supported his theory. :) He's really supportive of my writing, though. He knows it's more than just a hobby for me, and I'm grateful for that.

Natsuki, not strange at all. My husband and I got married last year when he was 19 and I was 20.

14. Addison

Addison New Member

Occasionally Illinois; at other times, Norway.
    Not particularly.

She sings a bit, though. That's nice. She also has an excellent taste in food; God, I'd starve without her.

15. RedRaven

RedRaven Active Member

No, he doesn't even like reading that much, although with a bit of pressure from my side he does get a quota of one or two books a year.

16. TerraIncognita

That's really cool, Lovely. :)

hahaha Addison, that's great. :p My bf is a much better cook than I am. I can cook really well he's just a lot more creative with food than me. haha

That's too bad Red. :( Lol one or two? hehe

17. RedRaven

RedRaven Active Member

:p

So far.. The long walk by Stephen King and I've got high hopes of him starting in Pirate Lattitudes by Chrichton.
    If I tell you he finished The two towers by Tolkien in little over 16 months.. I think you get the idea.

But I don't mind. He is who he is and thanks to the internet I have friends all over the world who share my passion for reading and writing.