1. caters

caters Active Member

2nd Chapter in Rubiks world(an in progress novel that will probably be shorter than the New Earth)

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by caters, May 28, 2014.

"It has now went from Jan 21 in winter to April 21 in spring and cheddar cheese was finally ready for use." is where MS word tells me to use gone.

This does not make sense:

"It has now gone from Jan 21 in winter to April 21 in spring and cheddar cheese was finally ready for use."

It makes more sense to use went.

Other grammar checkers say the same thing though that the went should be gone.

"went from"
    vs
    "gone from"

Here nothing really contradicts but with the "It has now" part of the phrase it thinks I am using present simple tense with present participle and should thus use gone.

Gone is used in the past participle as in "I had gone"

Went is used in present participle as in "I have went" or "It has went"

However most grammar checkers will say that I need to use gone in the example sentence.

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

"Gone" is correct. It is the past participle of the verb "to go".

"Went" is the past tense of the verb "to go".

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that part of the sentence is awkward at best, would benefit from rewording... but as is, only 'gone' makes sense and is grammatical... 'went' does not and is not...

4. caters

caters Active Member

went makes more sense to me than gone for that sentence because that sentence is talking about a period of time and in a sentence that talks about a period of time I would only use gone if it was talking about going someplace during that period of time or something, not just time passing by.

5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Looking at the sentence anew, "has" is incorrect because the second part of the sentence is "was ready for use". So your two choices are either "had gone" or "went". Using "went" as a participle is incorrect.

@mammamaia is correct, though - the entire opening phrase is painfully awkward.

6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

But grammar doesn't work like that... It might make more sense to you to use 'went,' but then you just have to reword the sentence so that it's grammatically correct.

Okay, @EdFromNY pretty much said it while I was typing this. :D