Doggy Problems

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ashleigh, Nov 2, 2009.

1. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Hmmm....might shove my wife's damn cat up the puppy's blowpipe....hmmm

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the point is, you can't KNOW she has or hasn't done this or that, since you're not watching her every second of the day and night, are you?... and i'm not being harsh at all, compared to how casually you seem to be taking what could be a serious problem for your poor pet, by not even calling a vet... as cog said, putting it off another day is not wise... it's not what a truly caring and responsible pet owner should do...

instead of wasting time getting mad at me for merely stating the obvious, you should be on the phone to the vet [not a student!], or heading for his office with your pooch to make sure it's not something serious...

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I think what the OP got mad about was that you seemed to imply that she didn't give a damn about Pebbles. She does. She's just hoping it's not something too serious and probably doesn't want to rush the little doggie to the vet when there isn't anything wrong. Didn't you read the part where she said that if Pebbles got worse, she would take her to the vet posthaste?

4. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Lmao, we have 0 skills. Or atleast I know I don't. My brother however does, and I like your idea. I don't think a couple doggie-steps would get in the way too much. and LOL - I know what you mean about doggie farts. They're fooouuul.

She's been better today - she's been hopping up and down still and acting normal. She's been eating well and drinking well, using the dog flap quite easily and she seems to be perky. I've caught her yelping very slightly a couple of times and I think i've narrowed it down - it seems to be bruising in one of her arm pits. I think she might have stretched one of her tendons under there, which is quite possible seeing as her legs splay-out and she skids a few meters everytime she jumps off the sofa.

I've been prodding her and applying pressure in certain places and she's acting as perky/hyper as ever and not yelping or crying. I'm going to keep watching her just to make sure, and I'm not going to risk walking her incase it makes it worse. She might just need a bit of time to heal. I think if she'd done serious damage she'd be in constant pain and making alot of fuss.
    Hopefully everything's fine - I'm taking her straight to the vet if she starts acting funny again. I think perhaps the original fuss was because she'd only just hurt herself.

Hehe, even as I write this she's trying to wrestle with my foot :p

5. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I love dogs..they are unflappable

6. Ashleigh

I know, haha. Fingers crossed that she stays this way. Fingers crossed....

7. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Agreed.

Coming home from the vets my puppy found his lead, and ball in the car, politely indicating to us all that he wanted to go to the beach.

Mum and I were like, 'geeze, you were only hit by a car two hours ago'.

Hahaha.

8. Carmina

At the dog park this summer, Juneau was jumped by three pitbulls....after we pulled them off...she was limping around the park on three legs trying to run and play and keep up with our other dog and meet all the people. "Stop playing so we can take you to the vet." Unflappable.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Probably bragging to the rest of the dogs, "You shoulda seen da other guy!"

10. Henry The Purple

Henry The Purple Active Member

Fingers crossed?!?! What in heavens are you doing girl? Take your dog to the vet ASAP. Dogs are extremely talented at masking pain...much more than humans! So don't start whistling yet, luv. maia's posts, as usual, are not to be ignored.

11. mammamaia

yes, i did read that... but serious problems will often flare up and die down again, so it's always best to check... i know all too well, since our beloved 'nipper' did the same thing and we assumed he was ok, only to have him die of inoperable cancer that could have been treated, if caught earlier... so don't berate this mom of 7 and grandma of almost 19 for urging caution, ok?... 'cause imo, one's pets should be treated no less carefully and responsibly than one's children...

12. Ashleigh

Update:

Pebbles hasn't made any whimpering/yelping today and she's been hyper and perky like normal. She's still eating well and drinking well and would appear to be doing just fine.
    My brother also picked her up earlier, under the arms and around the chest like we usually did before when getting her up on the sofa, and she didn't yelp this time or show any signs of pain.

Also, she's been letting off some pretty vile stenches all through the day, and now she doesn't seem to be complaining. I think either she strained a muscle and just needed to rest it, or she had trapped wind and gave herself a stomach ache. :rolleyes: I think the trapped gas is most likely.

I'm going to keep watching her just in case, but she seems to be fine now :)

13. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I'm glad your dog is doing better, Ash. I didn't comment, because I don't have any pets and know next to nothing about animals, but I've been checking in on the thread to see how she was doing.

14. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Ashleigh, you mentioned "or bruised her ribs on the floor when she leaps down and stumbles (as she often does, being a clumsy little thing)." and "I think she might have stretched one of her tendons under there, which is quite possible seeing as her legs splay-out and she skids a few meters every time she jumps off the sofa."

This is a serious risk for small dogs and a simple furniture doggy step is easy to build. I emailed you a set of instructions for building such a step. If you and Matt do not have the time or basic skills to build the steps, you might have a friend or family member who will build it for you. Your puppy WILL be protected by such a small expenditure.

If anyone else wants a copy of the small-dog furniture steps, just send me your email and I will be happy to provide it.

15. Ashleigh

^ Aw thanks for that! I've spoken to my parents about getting doggy-steps, or even just a small stool to put by the side of the sofa (because the seat's quite low) and I'm pretty sure that's going to be put into place. If not, then I'll keep nagging or just go and buy one myself.

She stumbled when she jumped off today, and she fell and bashed her head :( I was so sorry I wanted to cry. My poor little poochie. Laminated flooring and dogs do not go together well...

16. mammamaia

you don't have to buy anything or even make anything!

just put a sturdy cardboard packing box of the right size next to the furniture she jumps off... and if it moves, when she lands on it, simply tape it down to the floor...

if you want to get fancy later, you can cover it with carpet scraps you can probably get for free, at a carpet store, if you explain what you're going to do with them...

17. Carmina

Ghetto-rigged doggie steps!

18. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

How's doggy today? Completely recovered? (My grandmother used to breed Lhasa Apsos--they were quite sturdy but needed help when they got older getting onto chairs because their backs weren't strong).

19. Ashleigh

Pebbs is doing great, and I think she's fully recovered. I still can't tell if it was just doggy-gas or that she'd stretched her arm too far from jumping, but she's bouncy as ever now.

Still, a doggy-step is going to be put into place for her to stop her from skidding/bashing herself whenever she leaps from the sofa. We used to have carpet and she just can't get used to the flooring. If she did stretch something or bruise her ribs, then that'll be the reason why.

But, yeah, she's doing great now! :D

Thanks to everyone for their help and reassurance, awell as all the suggestions.

Suffice to say, however - if the yelping returns, whatever reason it may be for, I'll be nipping her to the vet to have it checked properly. For now, however, she's made a great recovery :)

20. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Yay! Pebbles!