Tags:
  1. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Word Size

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by MilesTro, Aug 3, 2013.

Does it matter what the size of the word is in fiction? I know most manuscripts require the word size to be 12, but to me, that is too small, and it slows my writing process to complete a page. The smaller the words are, the more time it will take for me to move pass each page. I think a word size of twenty can speed up my process. But do I have to remain writing 12 size words?

2. Steve Day

Steve Day Member

I assume you mean type (point) size.
    12 point is the norm for submitting, but write with whatever pleases you. I personally use Geneva ( a san serif font) in 14 point. You are reading this in Helvetica.

3. Steve Day

Steve Day Member

double post.

4. mbinks89

mbinks89 Active Member

I suggest doing what works best for you, and then if you want to submit it, just change the size to twelve.

5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

If you're just talking about formatting, you can of course write with whatever font, font size, font format, etc, that you want, and then change that to the standard manuscript size when you start to think about submitting a manuscript.

But of course a 20 point page contains far fewer words than a 12 point page, so getting through more pages doesn't necessarily mean getting through more of the manuscript.

6. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

Just write in a font that is big enough you can read. Why are you worrying about finishing a page? If you are in elementary school and your teacher asked you to write a "two-page paper" and you hand it in with a 20 point font, expect an "F".

Arial or Times New Roman, size 12, is plenty big.

Your writing process will be the same speed regardless of word size. You will not get more words per minute, with "larger word size". You won't get a better book that way either. Nor a better or more enjoyable paper.

7. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I am a college student!

But thank you for the advice. I will stick to 14 font because it will help me see my words better.

8. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

most word processors have a ZOOM icon somewhere... set it to 200% and you can write with standard 12 formatting but DISPLAYthe font like it's set to 24 :)

9. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I use Courier New 12pt--it is pretty big and very easy to read. I also have Microsoft Word zoomed in enough to only be showing one page at a time (instead of 2) so that makes it even bigger.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

just make sure to switch it to 12 pt before submitting any work to agents/editors/publishers...

for print venues, courier new font is the most universally acceptable one, since the other most used one is times new roman, which is too tiny and cramped for reading all day every day, as those you send your work to must do...

11. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

What if when I change the font to 12, the novel becomes a short novel? Like I have 150 pages finished, then when I change the font to 12, the pages go down to 70 pages. Will I have to add more to my chapters to reach the require number of pages for a perfect novel size?

12. Southpaw2380

Southpaw2380 Member

As far as "required number of pages", I've never come across a true required amount. But to answer your question, yes, you'll want to add more if you want it to be considered a novel. Length between short story, novella, novel, etc. is usually determined more by word count than page count, and even those definitions vary. There certainly is no "perfect novel size", because not every story can be told in as few or as many as X amount of pages.

In my personal opinion, I wouldn't focus so much on how much, but rather the quality. Worrying about the final page count may be motivational, but I don't think it should be the end-all-be-all of your novel. Write until your story is told in it's entirety and you think you've stated the perfect amount for the readers.

~~SP

13. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I agree. Writers should keep working on their story, until they feel it is done, whether it becomes a short novel or a full novel.

14. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

This is why you don't look at how many pages you have. You look at word count.

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

In the six years you have been here, how could you possibly have failed to pick up that word count, not page count, is the determining factor?

You are stretching credibility well beyond the elastic limit that these are innocent questions.

16. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

If you want more pages, you can just make the pages have less words on them ;-)

Louis l'Amour and Edgar Rice Burroughs books had a narrow column of words running down the center with a large blank space at the top and bottom.

Arthur C. Clark's books are the opposite. L. Ron Hubbard's books have TINY print and fill the page, top to bottom and side to side.

17. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't confuse the publisher's decisions with those of the author. The author has no control over the page layout, unless he or she is self-publishing.

18. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that!

19. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Ditto, Cog!

20. Motley

Motley Active Member

I once wrote a story with 20pt purple Comic Sans.

You can write however you want, just stick to manuscript format when you submit for publication.

21. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I guess if I self publish, I will stick to my own format.