1. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Contributing Member Contributor

Domestic Disturbance

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by ToeKneeBlack, Jul 9, 2014.

While working out the plot holes in my current work in progress, I discovered that all four of the members in my "perfect" family of four came under attack from a gang in the original draft, resulting in only the father and the main protagonist, a young girl, making it out alive.

However, I realised that the means of attack would have rendered her father dead as well, since he was the closest to the source of the poison, so I have re-written the chapters involved to have the parents arguing: The mother wants to move out, convinced that they aren't safe, while the father thinks the gang would be stupid to attack the same house for a third night in a row.

He leaves the house after drinking the place dry (he had been drinking to get over the previous two break-ins before the argument) and the gang attack while he's gone.
    By the time he comes round from his drunken stupor, his wife and adopted son are both dead, with his adopted daughter missing.

The process of adding these details in drove me to tears - you'd think I'd be emotionally prepared for anything I could imagine, so if this part of the story has this effect on me, hopefully it won't be lost on the readers.