1. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Don't know what to write about

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Marcelo, Jun 26, 2008.

I have like 3 stories in mind, but they still have a long way to go first developing the plot, characters and setting. Don't know what to write mean while.

2. Marloy

Marloy New Member

You could always think up something crazy and look around your room, etc. for something. And you could use a random title generator.

Or you could always revisit your current work. It's never too late or early to start drawing them out. :D

3. bone jaw

bone jaw New Member

why not try writing about yourself? Create a character that completely resembles you, and put that character in the most craziest, wackiest, most out of this world story that has ever come out of your head. And it doesn't have to be a great story either, it can be the most crappiest plot you've ever thought of. I dunno, but it's always a blast for me when I do it. :)

4. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

I've taken a liking to flash fiction. Perhaps you can try finding some resources and building stories from what they imply? Here are a few to get you started: "Very Short Stories"

5. SkyBlueSky

SkyBlueSky New Member

It's fairly fundamental but simply try writing what you know. If that doesn't get the engines turning go out and do some random reading. Anything will do, but just keep reading. Cereal boxes, the back of shampoo bottles, magazines, books, the classifies in the newspaper, etc. Why do all this seemingly silly stuff? Because by doing all this you will get your mind working and that is the most important thing. Read, read, read, and then write! Even if it's not related to your story, grab a piece of paper and pen and write random gibberish until your mind is empty or your hand falls off. (Should be the latter.)

I've seen many writer's get discouraged and quit because they sit around doing nothing when they can't seem to get their story out. Don't let this happen to you. Keep your reading and writing skills on their toes and your story will flow.

6. TBrennan

TBrennan New Member

I agree with Marloy about using random title generators they've really helped me. But you could also think up of scenarios (don't know if that's spelt right sorry) based on stuff you've done with your friends and you could create a idea from there. Hope this helps.

TB

7. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

Instead of "writing something in the meantime," which basically means coming up with yet another idea which might not end up getting fleshed out enough, why not focus on one of the undeveloped ideas you have and flesh it out instead? Otherwise, you might just end up with another idea you can't work on because it's not developed enough to write.

You have to develop these ideas sometime. Finding another, easier idea "in the meantime" isn't going to solve the problem. All it's going to do is stall you from working on those stories. And it doesn't matter how easy a new idea is, you're going to have to develop it, too.

There's no easy way out. You either develop the ideas you have, and write them, or you keep searching for other ideas and write nothing.

8. Amor

Amor New Member

When I don't know what to write, I just write random non-fiction stories, putting past situations of mine into story format. Sometimes I write them from my friends' point of view, which makes me wonder just how much I know my friends to write a story from their point of view and make it accurate. Once, I wrote a non-fiction story from my abuela's point of view about the day when my little sister was born. It was quite challenging to write, because I wasn't even there for the majority of the story.

Or like the others said, try flash fiction if non-fiction isn't your thing xD Or a title generator...those are intersting :]

Good luck :-D

9. JanesLife

JanesLife New Member

The best way to deal with nonsense floating around in your brain is to attack it bit by bit. Go for poetry, and then attempt to tackle the idea in short story form. Stream of consciousness is always good for a muddled brain. It's wonderful to actually have a few good ideas bouncing around, and one should try to 'suck out all the marrow' (to quote Thoreau 8D ). Try poking around at things, and even if you are super-disappointed with your work, you are still honing skillz (ha). If you really want to have a mean-while story, to give time to work out all of the kinks of the sketchy stories, then I would advise to stop writing for a while and go live (this is usually my problem--I don't know if it is yours). Call a friend, or do something athletic (walking is about as athletic as it gets for me, though). Even sleep can un-muddle (or reallyreally muddle) thoughts.

10. Jade

Jade Active Member

For practice, usually I try writing what I dream about. Ready made ideas from your imagination - too good to waste sometimes :p They don't have to be actual stories, I try to improve my descriptions. My dreams are usually so abstract and strange it really challenges me.

11. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Tehuti is 100% correct in my opinion. Take your favorite of the present story lines and use it to complete a short story that includes a plausible ending. It might be 2000 words long or twenty pages, but complete the process. After that one is done, repeat the process with your next storyline and so on.

When you complete a short story, there are all kinds of paths that become apparent for expansion into a novel. You might find that the process of writing the "short story" will not stop as you get excited and keep expanding it. Before you know it, you will have completed a 120,000 word manuscript full of your great ideas and imagination. Then, you're faced with the greatest downer in writing...SELF EDITING! I hate when the creative process must be shelved and I am forced to "kill my darlings!" LOL

.....NaCl

FYI - Here is an interesting comment on "killing your darlings":

http://dragonwritingprompts.blogsome.com/2008/01/26/how-to-kill-your-darlings-without-remorse/