Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Door-to-Door Religion. Why do this?

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Link the Writer, Jul 9, 2014.

So I was just visited by two elderly (nice) ladies who wanted to talk about Jesus and the Bible with me. I politely declined and wished them a good day, but it just occurred to me: why do some people go door-to-door, knocking on the doors of random strangers and ask to talk about Jesus and the Bible? I get the whole spreading the message and all, but isn't that mostly done through church and examples? Why do they do this? Aren't they afraid of some nasty person who will, quite bluntly, tell them something vulgar and rude? I would be afraid to do it just out of fear of that happening to me.

From what I understand, there are two groups of Christians who do this sort of thing: Mormons and Latter-Day Saints (if I'm wrong on their names, please correct me.) Why do they do this?

So, what are your thoughts on this?

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Evangelicals do it, it's a marketing strategy growing these large mega-churches and spreading the Word around the globe.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

To spread the Truth (with a capital "t" so you know that it's actually true).

4. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

Jehova's Witnesses (the ones I have experience with) do it simply because they believe, literally, that as many people as you visit/knock on the door of/give pamphlets and newsletters /talk about your religion to, the more points you gain with God. Because the Heaven places are limited, they are actually competing, via those points, to ensure their place in Heaven. This is what I've been told before.

If you ask me, it is the most ridiculously manipulative doctrine, very annoying as well, when you know why they are waking you up at 9am on Sunday. I don't have any time for these people, I just tell them not to knock on my door again, and I have a dog going sick at the doorbell, so they usually respect my wishes.

5. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

@jazzabel - I didn't realize Jehova's Witnesses literally were trying to compete against each other. I can understand trying to spread the Word and all, but compete among each other? Don't think religion's supposed to be used like that, like some contest.

6. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

@Link the Writer: I agree. It's the same kind of wtf? as the Mormons explaining why the second book had to be written.

7. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Contributing Member

Perhaps the next time one visits, you can ask. I think I may just do that.

Actually, I have been looking forward to one visiting my house, so I can stand there and see if I can blow their minds. Or, at least make them think that I am crazy enough to never visit again.

8. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

Had a couple of very nice young men arrive at my door last week, in white shirts and black pants and ties, sporting name tags. I was going to remark on the coincidence of both their first names being 'Elder', but I wasn't sure they'd think it funny. Anyway, before they could start their presentation, I said I wasn't interested and wished them a good day. They seemed surprised, stunned even, which made me wonder if most people engage them in conversation ? How many folks do they convert on the spot ? I know Mormons, and they're good people, but the religion itself has always seemed to be about one-third of the way from straight Christianity toward Scientology.

jazzabel likes this.
  9. GingerCoffee

If I have time (these guys come once or twice a year here) I tell them the Christian god hates women so no thank you. They always want to talk. I tell them the real story of Lot.

Teenage daughters are fine to use as cannon fodder for a mob out to rape.
    A man gets drunk and has sex with his daughters and the story says the children were at fault.
    And Lot's wife had the audacity to disobey so she's wiped off the face of the planet while all sorts of other disobedience is not so severely punished. Why was she singled out? Maybe because Lot had eyes for his daughters?

And the Amalekites story, where after killing every person and beast the soldiers are allowed to keep the virgins for themselves. A little Boko Haram philosophy anyone?

10. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

@stevesh
    I think they don't expect conversion on the spot but to actually be allowed to do their pitch and leave a pamphlet or holy book with you after recommending some passages.
    Maybe most people are too "polite" to tell them "gtfo" right away.

jazzabel likes this.
  11. GingerCoffee

In my neighborhood they come to invite you to their church service, typically a special event intended to draw new members in, like cults do it.

12. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Contributing Member

To me it's odd that some people go door-to-door because it's so hard to change other peoples religious beliefs. I wouldn't think those going door-to-door would have much success.

13. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Wildly experimental Contributor

Mormons and Latter-Day Saints are the same thing. Or at least the Mormons belong to The Church of Jesus Christ and Latter-Day Saints.

I hope you'll forgive me for answering a question with a question, but if you believed; truly believed that everyone who didn't accept Jesus was going to hell; wouldn't you see it as your duty to save them?

Put it another way, I'm Baha'i and we don't particularly believe in hell, and we definitely don't believe in original sin; but how could I forbid my Catholic wife from baptizing our children?

14. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

For some it is simply an article of their faith, one which they take literally, that they must go and spread the Word. There are some lines of Christianity that take that snake-handling sentence literally and go to churches filled with cotton mouth and diamond-backs. In my line of work (interpreting) there is a very large proportion of JW's (I'm under the impression "JW" is ok to use as I have seen my JW friends use it in chat) because the work itself is seen as doing a good deed for your fellow person, bringing understanding where there is confusion and communication where there is impasse.

15. GingerCoffee

The evidence evangelizing works is all over the globe. I have no idea what percentage door to door evangelizing contributes to the growth of these religions, but it probably isn't zero.

16. fivetoesten

fivetoesten Member

You're thinking Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses.

17. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Exactly. On the other hand, for many other belief systems, including both religious and secular systems, the freedom of choice is a more fundamental tenet.

This is an example of why "we can't all just get along."

18. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

Just as a side note, according to a Judith Martin/Miss Manners column, a small plate (no need for a big sign) on your door saying, "No religious agents, please." will deter them.

19. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

I can't really see why it's offensive for most people (including in this particular thread). I can see where it could turn from preaching to badgering, but till preaching, I would surmise dislike toward preachers little more than hate for a group of people, or at least it comes off that way.

Like others said, for someone who truly believes that people who do not share their doctrine are headed to Hell, they would want as many people as possible to be saved, or as many people to gain awareness. Much like if I truly believed the hamburgers they're selling in McDonald's carry the Mad Cow Disease, I would do everything in my power to let my loved ones and everyone else, know. You reserve the right to find me crazy, misinformed, and tell me to back off, but beyond that, do you really blame me for trying? And as ChickenFreak suggested, a simple sign should suffice.

But why the negative emotion?

20. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

I suspect that a substantial part of the offense is that door-to-door communication is mostly going away. I'm somewhat irritated when anyone, other than the high school kid next door doing a fundraiser, comes door-to-door to my door. As less and less of our communication is in person at the door, I think that someone knocking on the door feels more and more like an intrusion.

21. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

From personal experience, it's not all that different on social networking sites, either. I'm a social recluse myself and usually drop the call on telemarketers, and if I run into them in the street I tell them off. But I wouldn't have staggering repulsion for them; they're just doing their job.

22. GingerCoffee

I haven't gotten my 'no solicitors' sign up yet which supposedly makes it my fault, but it is annoying as hell how many solicitors call on the phone and come to my door. It really has reached a level beyond inconvenient.

I am disturbed at least 2-3 times a month by someone at the door: politicians and other political causes, religious proselytizers, sales people - phone company, Omaha steaks, tree services, and a few other services. The phone rings literally 3-10 times a day! I'm considering canceling my home number and just keeping my business phone service. I pay for a phone and mostly advertisers use it to harass me. I get some of the same robo-calls every single day.

So door to door anything is a pain in this neighborhood. The church people might not be the bulk of the callers, but all of them add to the total.

23. GingerCoffee

My couple observations of the Evangelists that invaded Puerto Vallarta a few decades ago:

Over the doors of lots of houses were signs that said, "We are Catholics in this house, please don't come preaching to us."

And on a Taxi ride after the driver found out I spoke some Spanish, near my destination he began driving slower and slower while he preached his Born Again spiel to me.

24. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

What I don't like is when I tell these people I'm an atheist, and have no interest in visiting their church, they start trying to tell me the theory of evolution is 'just a theory' and see how beautiful the world is, how clever God is for making it. I find these comments demeaning, that I would be impressed by them at all, and also utterly pathetic. I don't intend to be nasty or offensive here, but give me better than that! You've got to have better than that!

I got into an argument with two women who kept coming to my door, and they stopped coming once I explained what I guess I can call the 'Infinity Principle' to them.

25. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

My driveway sits seven cars one behind the other with comfort and I have a gate, so the door to door thing doesn't really bother me so much, and door to door proselytizing here in PR is still very much a thing. The political thing, on the other hand, there's no getting around that where I live unless you're deaf. Literally. Politicians here campaign via trucks we call tumbacocos. Carmen Yulin campaigned to have them made illegal. Her campaign was not successful.

That one's playing music, but imagine the sound of an announcer with his big Sabado Gigante voice selling you some politician, in your bathroom, or wherever you are because the decibels from that thing are timpanum rupturing. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.