1. Rita M Gardner

Rita M Gardner Member

"Dormancy" or "unconsciousness"?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Rita M Gardner, Jul 17, 2016.

I am having a very difficult time trying to figure out which word to use. On one hand, I'd like to use dormancy as my character is lying asleep. On the other hand, I'd like to use unconsciousness since within the same paragraph, it will be stated that my character slept through three alarms. Any advice? Which one do you think flows better? Below, you will see an excerpt from the paragraph I am referring to. Any advice will help a tone. Your reasoning behind your opinion is also very much welcomed. Thank you in advance.

"I climbed back into bed and stared at the ceiling for what seemed like an eternity. As the seconds went by slowly, I began to drift back off into the land of dormancy. It felt as though I was only sleeping for a few minutes when the alarm went off..."

"I climbed back into bed and stared at the ceiling for what seemed like an eternity. As the seconds went by slowly, I began to drift back off into the land of unconsciousness. It felt as though I was only sleeping for a few minutes when the alarm went off..."

cydney likes this.
  2. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

Unconsciousness.
    Dormancy makes it sound like she destroys civilizations every few centuries.

3. Rita M Gardner

Rita M Gardner Member

Thank you @ManOrAstroMan! That definitely helped! You rock :).

ManOrAstroMan likes this.
  4. Sapphire at Dawn

Sapphire at Dawn Member

I prefer unconsciousness as well. Dormancy to me says inactivity rather than sleep.

Rita M Gardner likes this.
  5. Rita M Gardner

Rita M Gardner Member

@Sapphire at Dawn thank you. My fiance and I were going back and forth for nearly 20 minutes!

Sapphire at Dawn likes this.