1. WriteWise

WriteWise New Member

Do's AND DONT's WHEN INTERVIEWING FOR A WRITING JOB

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by WriteWise, Jul 5, 2007.

Good Morning (Afternoon, Evening to others)

I am new to the forum and I already have a question! I am hoping you all can help me in my dilemma. For years since I was little, I have known that I was meant to be writer. It has always been a passion of mine and landing a job in the field was the beginning of my dream.

Currently I am pursuing a 4 year degree, majoring in English. I still have a little more than half way to go. I have been working in the Travel industry for the past 5-6 years, and I have some experience in marketing as far as helping with advertising, newsletter, writing company articles and such. It is not extensive though, I’ll be honest. Also I have never had a byline or anything like that.

Anyway, my current dilemma is: after what seems like forever of applying for writing jobs, I finally received back a reply extending me an interview invitation! It is happening this upcoming Monday and they have asked me to bring in two writing samples. I am extremely excited and I want to go into this with my best foot forward, however I am equally terrified. First of all, I’m not sure what to bring as writing samples. I have no idea what they are expecting and I don’t want to bring in something that makes me look foolish.

Can anyone give me some recommendations? If you need to know more about me as far as my creative strengths or something like that, do let me know! Thank you all in advance.

Sincerely,
    WriteWise (Cara)

2. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Well, first off, what type of job are you applying for? Newspaper? Travel magazine? Online fantasy collection? The nature of the job should, obviously, help decide what to bring.

3. WriteWise

WriteWise New Member

I agree. The job title is "writer". Unfortunately I don't know the type of company it is. I applied to several jobs on careerbuilder and when they replied to me via email they didn't provide a phone number or company name. Only an address to show up at for the interview. I thought it was a bit odd but I figured I'd find out when I got there just who they were.

4. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Perhaps bring a bag with a few folders. Each containing each style of writing. When asked to show some samples let them decide what to choose. They will then know you are versatile and prepared. Other than that just be prepared for questions you think they will ask. Good luck!

5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Google the address you're to go to and find out about the company? Then you can research the company.

"Writer" is very vague, but I would suspect with most companies, they would be looking for nonfiction- advertisement, newsletter, company policy type things.

If it's in education or research, or some businesses, it might be something like grant writing.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Terry

6. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

moving this to general writing

7. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

Are you basically trying to get publsihed?

Sorry I don't really understand lol.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

terry's advice is best... i think it would be foolish to go to an interview not even knowing what kind of company it is, or even the name of it... email back and ask for pete's sake!...

and get a phone number... then, call and ask whoever answers, what the company does...

for all you know, it could be a white slavery gang that lures silly young women who aren't savvy enough to check them out to a 'meeting' where they'll be drugged and dumped into a cargo container for shipping to some arab sheikdom or bangkok brothel! [not as funny as it should be, because it happens every day!]