1. The95Writer

The95Writer Active Member

Novel Can I write in 14 pt?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by The95Writer, Feb 1, 2014.

I am writing my first book and the writing looks quite small for 12pt and there seems to be less pages. What do you think about writing in 14pt? Is this not recommended?

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

When you submit a manuscript to an agent or publisher, you submit it using a standard format with a standard font size. Even if you didn't use a standard format, and even if a publisher uncharacteristically read and accepted that manuscript, they'd still convert it to their choice of format.

So you can do the actual writing in any format you like, but it won't affect the number of pages in an eventual book.

3. The95Writer

OK. I suppose it is my comfortability, also. I want to make it appear as a book whilst I am writing it. So I suppose, when I submit a manuscript, would I just have to put all the margins, page layout and paragraphing in standard word document format? Also, what font would it have to be? Arial or Calibri etc?

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

The industry standard is laid out in William Shunn's page. Just select whether you're writing a novel or a short story. All the information for proper manuscript formatting is there, including recommended fonts, margins, title pages, headers and footers, etc.

Check the website of the agent or publisher you're submitting to. If they have format specifications, use those. If they don't specify, use Shunn's. You won't go wrong.

5. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I suppose you can write in which ever font size you prefer, as long as you change it before submission, if that is what you're aiming at. :) Don't worry.

6. The95Writer

OK, thanks for the help guys. I haven't got a specific idea of who I will be submitting it to yet. That will be another question to ask soon.

7. Rafiki

Rafiki Active Member

Is this for real?

8. The95Writer

And, is this post serious?

9. Rafiki

Rafiki Active Member

I just want to be clear, initially were you asking if it was ok to write- in your own word document prior to submission- in fourteen point font?

10. The95Writer

Yes. I was talking about my own document.

11. Rafiki

Rafiki Active Member

k

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This.

But you really have to dislike manuscript format if you're going to write in another format and then go through the work of changing it for submission. Changing it isn't a HUGE task, but it's still extra work you're making for yourself.

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the ms you submit must be double-spaced in 12 pt serifed font, all paragraphs indented .5" and with 1" margins all around...

and, since times new roman is too tiny and cramped for many agents/editors who have to read mss all day every day, courier new is the most universally acceptable font for print publication...

for online publications, non-serifed arial is the standard and line breaks are used instead of indenting...

14. The95Writer

OK. Thanks. I am only writing in a book-like layout because it gives me a rough idea of how it might look.
    So when it comes to changing in the proper manuscript format, I would make a separate document and apply the changes from the template.