1. AlannaHart

AlannaHart Contributing Member

Doubting the genre.

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by AlannaHart, Nov 18, 2014.

I've finished editing a book for a client and have been asked to make up a query letter for him.

It's about a lonely, social outcast who starts to come out of his shell when his cousin introduces him to drug dealing, but of course it all starts falling apart when addiction strikes. It's gritty, depressing and has some hard hitting moral lessons without being in-your-face about it. He's a teenager, and it has a suburban setting.

I have an idea as to what genre it falls into, but I'd love to hear an outside opinion to quell my doubts.

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Sounds like a coming-of-age genre to me.

3. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

It can be hard to identify YA without reading the 'voice' - based on the subject matter, I'd say this could qualify, but is it written in a way that would appeal to younger readers? And what age is the MC? If he's 18 or over, it could be NA, although that's a category that's sometimes a bit hard to define, too!

If you're satisfied that it's YA, I don't think you really need to identify a more specific 'genre' - I've successfully queries a book as just "YA" without a sub-category.

4. AlannaHart

@Link the Writer Coming-of-age kind of requires the character to mature during his story arch, no? This character merely slides depressingly backwards.

@BayView He's 19 and he does kill himself in the end. Plus, there's a lot of graphic drug use. NA might be the way to go, huh?

5. BayView

Right now NA seems REALLY romance-oriented, but I'm hoping that's changing (selfishly, b/c my agent is currently shopping my non-Romance NA project around!). So, maybe NA?

(My agent did say that publishers are getting a bit frustrated with a recent glut of NA submissions that don't fit what they think NA is, so... I don't know.)

It might just be general fiction, if it's written in a style that would appeal to adults...

6. AlannaHart

Bugger...

BayView likes this.
  7. Kat Hawthorne

Kat Hawthorne Member

My vote is definitely NA.

Here's the definition from Wikipedia:

Many themes covered in young adult fiction such as identity, sexuality, depression, suicide, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, familial struggles, bullying[14] are also covered in new adult fiction, but the various issues that are dealt with in the category hold it separate. Some common examples of issues include: first jobs, starting college, wedding engagements and marriage, starting new families, friendships post-high school, military enlistment, financial independence, living away from home for the first time, empowerment, loss of innocence, fear of failure, and many others.

This category focuses heavily on life after an individual has become of legal age, and how one deals with the new beginnings of adulthood. Commonly, these themes and issues have been seen taking place post-high school in popular new adult fiction titles, but there are exceptions.​

Also, NA tends to feature protagonists aged between 19--25 years.

8. BayView

Have you read any NA that aren't romances, though?

9. Kat Hawthorne

Kat Hawthorne Member

It's such a new genre, and romance is so rampant. I don't think there needs to be a sub genre mentioned at all (in fiction, you don't have to choose a genre for anything other than adult. Honestly, I don't know if this is the case for NA as well). Regardless, the protagonist is 19 years old (disqualifying the manuscript from an official YA label), and is dealing with addiction. I have not read any non-romance NA, but then again, I haven't read much NA. My area of specialty is MG.

10. AlannaHart

Cheers guys!