1. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

Douglas Adams style authors?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by nativesodlier, May 28, 2009.

Okay, so I am a huge Douglas Adams fan. You know, the writer of the five book trilogy The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, The Dirk Gently novels and so forth. I simply fell in love with his writing style, partly because its a a lot like mine and partly because it has me laughing every other paragraph. well here is where my problem lies, though to me his work is great, there is so little of it. i mean I know he has many news and magazine articles, but its still so little.

my question is, does anyone know of other authors with a similar style or genre? (I have already begun Terry Pratchett) any good comedy science fiction authors or just have that Douglas flare?

2. A.J.Crowley

A.J.Crowley New Member

Hitchhikers was originally two radio series so I suggest checking them out if you haven't already. In my opinion they are better than the books. The BBC television adaptation is also good and while on the subject of TV I'd also recommend "Red Dwarf" a British sci-fi/sit-com.

3. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

yeah the radio series is awesome as well. thank you for the suggestions

4. hellomoto

hellomoto New Member

I don't know, its a bit below our age levels but in the Series of Unfortunate Events Lemony Snickett (Daniel Handler) writes in a similar style. I really, really loved the series, but I don't know if you older guys will. Its not childish, just a bit small.

5. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

older guys? I'm only 22. I just watched that movie for the first time too. hmm will give it a try.

6. hellomoto

hellomoto New Member

Lol, sorry, I'm only 13, so 22 is still and older guy for me ;)

7. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Check out Patrick McManus for Adams-style humor as applied to hunting and fishing.

8. iolair

iolair Active Member

Don't know if you've read it yet, but my favourite Douglas Adams book is a non-fiction one - "Last Chance to See". His writing style is just as entertaining as it ever was.

I'm glad you started alread on Terry Pratchett's - his Discworld series start off rather Adams-like, until he develops his own style much more after the first few books. Virtually the whole series are great reads.