Dr Laura Schlessinger -- In Praise of Stay-at-Home Moms: Opinions on the Mommy Wars?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mercurial, Apr 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. x_raichelle_x

x_raichelle_x New Member

My daughters is £140 a week, about £520 a month. A joke really when you consider I only earn £750 a month!
    xxx

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Okay, so it was true for you. But not all kids with disabilities would benefit more from mom staying at home. There are some mothers, like yourself, who were able to help your son. Other parents, moms and dads, won't even realize that there is a problem that needs attention. I know this isn't a daycare versus stay-at-home-mom thing, exactly, but it is a factor. If you have to work, and daycare is your only option, the ECEs can identify problems early that parents would never notice, simply because it's their only child, or because they lack the education. When I was studying developmental delays at school, a guest-speaker told us about how she didn't even know her son had even the slightest delay until he went to school.

Yikes, Rachelle. But just imagine what you'll be able to do for her and yourself when she starts regular school that you don't have to pay for.

3. x_raichelle_x

x_raichelle_x New Member

I know, I can't wait! Only 3 more years to go....lol.

I agree with you there aswell Rei, about sometimes even with children with disabilities, daycare is a better option. I know my best friend works in a home with autistic children who are there because they look after the children better than their own parents do. Theres one child who's mam and dad only go to see him once every six weeks, despite only living an hour away. This Ms Schlessingers got things waaaay mixed up, not leaving any room for families different to her ideals.

This thread is a personal bugbear of mine; Ms (I refuse to call her a Dr!) Schlessinger could quite easily be my mother in law!

xx

4. lessa

lessa New Member

This thread is a personal bugbear of mine; Ms (I refuse to call her a Dr!) Schlessinger could quite easily be my mother in law!

She is trying to put everyone into the same mold.
    She wants a cookie cutter ideal and thinks the world will be better for it.
    She is so wrong.
    with her attitude not only do the children suffer but entire families do as well.
    you do what you think is best and society faults you.
    you do what society thinks is best and you fault yourself.
    it is a no win situation.
    everyone is different and deserves to be respected for the difference.

I was mistaken about the amount my son pays each month.
    Since he has 3 children in day care they pay $2000 cdn a month but no subsidies as they make too much money.

5. pacmansays

pacmansays New Member

My mum is a housewife and my dad works. She used to work and had a successful business life but decided to stay at home to care for me and my sister. She's a feminist and once was mocked by another feminist for staying at home to raise the kids, my mum's response was feminism is about giving women the freedom of choice in this matter and promoting women into working is as much as creating a mould as promoting them to stay at home is....

6. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

There seems to be discussion of only two options:Stay at home mom or daycare center. There are other choices. Both my sister and brother-in-law work long hours. My brother-in-law travels a lot with his job. My sister has a two hour commute. My nephew has his Nana (my mom) and Grandpa taking care of him, taking him to school, picking him up, helping him with his homework. He spends his day with loving family members who give him all the one on one time he needs. I know that not everyone has family willing to provide free or seriously cheap daycare. However, it is a good solution if you have it and have to work.

7. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Very true. My sister-in-law is usually home with my nephew, but when something comes up and they need a babysitter, there is always a family member willing to watch him for the day. Also, my sister has already volunteered to take care of my kids when I have them so I can keep working. When family is an option, it really helps.

8. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I did mention this as an option, though it looks like it mostly got ignored. This is a great option if you have it. If my mother had worked, this is what it would have been like for me.

9. lessa

lessa New Member

that is a wonderful option if it is available.
    with the job situation the way it is now
    you move where there is a job whether
    or not you have family.
    I would not have trusted my MIL to look after
    my children.
    She forgot where she left my 4 month old baby
    and he sat in the sun for over an hour.
    What would she do if she had two of them walking.

Children are having children later in life so grandparents
    just don't have the stamina for all day care.
    Grandparents also have a life of their own and might not
    be willing to put it on hold.
    So yes take advantage of this situation if you can.
    Just remember that they may be raised differently than
    you wish them to be. Grandma rules apply.
    And also make sure you pay for the service.