1. ms627

ms627 Member

Drafts

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by ms627, Apr 1, 2013.

You wrote your story.

Now, it's time for your next draft.

How do you go about doing that? Do you go through the same document and edit around? Create a new one and copy-paste the old story and revise that way? Or do you print out the original draft and rewrite most of it?

I'm sure it depends on the individual work, but what do you find yourself doing with your own?

Happy Monday, everyone! :)

2. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I edit the same MS. Not sure how everyone else goes about it.

3. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

I have my book divided into a file per chapter, and each chapter has their own folders for storage. Currently, I'm doing the rough draft but at the same time coming up from the beginning with draft one of revisions. copying and pasting to have another file makes it easier as if you don't like a change you can go back to the old file.

4. TheLeonard112

TheLeonard112 Sūpākūru Senpai

That's a nice way to do it. To be honest, I just go through the same draft, changing things, I believe need to be edited.

5. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

I make a copy of the original.
    always keep an untouched copy of the original - that way you get to see the progess! - Just ditch the word docs in a
    folder marked original copy.
    I read the entire story making notes - deciding what needs to be fixed, axed or reworked
    Then I start making edits to the copy.

6. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I keep different documents for different drafts. It's a good way to see how the story/novel improves with each draft.

7. Nee

Nee Contributing Member

I use different files for each draft.

Although, I save files of scenes rather than chapters: I leave the arrangement of chapters for the very last. That way you can decide after your ma is complete as to how you want it to be read. This sometimes mean that you'll need to do a bit more writing to link-up pieces but, the advantages of doing it that way are well worth the bother :)

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i work on the previous draft, but give it a new number, so my first draft will be the original, the next will have a '2' after the title, then a '3' and so on... they're all saved, so i can compare them, if necessary and nothing will be lost... and at least one go-'round will be printed out, so i can find goofs i may have missed on the screen...

this method also gives me a 'paper trail' to show the development of my work from first idea notes to the final draft, in case i ever have to show proof of authorship...

9. Dylan_Anderson

Dylan_Anderson New Member

Wow, aparently I take a much longer approach than everyone else. I print off the first draft and read through making notes in red pen, put it away for a few weeks. Then I start writing the story again from scratch keeping the noted first draft next to me going through it as I write.

I'll then usually do the same again but the third draft might have a little bit of cutting and pasting if there's anything I'm particularly proud of.

1 person likes this.
  10. Jacco

Jacco Member

This is essentially what I do. It makes it easier to work in chunks because you can measure your progress.

I have each chapter as its own folder and within each folder I have an "archived" folder where I put all my done drafts. Each time I make a new edit of the document, I save a new copy of it and date the old one before putting it into the archived folder. That way I have every draft in case I need to go back and re-add something I took out or (god forbid) prove in court that someone stole my stuff.

11. Jacco

Jacco Member

Ha. You ninja'd me. I basically just explained that exact thing.

If you like being able to mark up your drafts (like I do), you might do well to invest in an iPad if you don't already have one. There is a wonderful app I use on mine called iAnnotate. You just save your drafts as PDF files and you can use the tools on the app to mark them up in the exact same way you could on the paper. I find it very convenient because it not only saves paper, but you can carry your entire manuscript around without the weight.

12. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick Contributing Member

Well, during my first draft, I make about a million "comments" in my document as I'm writing about things I'm too lazy to change right then. Things like "Go back and foreshadow this," or "Look this up in wikipedia."

Step 1) I go through all of those comments.
    Step 2) I print it out, read it out loud to myself, and mark it up in red pen. (You catch a lot more mistakes with it printed out, and even more if you read it out loud.)
    Step 3) Make red-pen changes in my document.
    Step 4) Rewrite it in a new document while reading the old one. (This is to make sure the story flows after the millions of changes I just made)

13. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Scrivener, just revise chapter by chapter.