1. S.H.Hastings

S.H.Hastings New Member

Help! How to create the dialectic of a story?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by S.H.Hastings, Nov 2, 2015.

I was wondering if any could help me out
    I'm about to re-write yet another draft- but before I do- I need to tighten and make more concise the "dialectic" of my story - My research has confused me even more - I've read a lot about thesis/antithesis/synthesis- but I'm having trouble putting that into practice- relative to my story - So... I'm looking for examples of short summaries [no more than 2 or 3 lines] of "political or social dialectics of novels" - one i did manage to find hidden away at the back of the internet was one of Dostoyevsky's..."If you don't sin- you can't repent- if you don't repent- you can't achieve salvation" - I was hoping to find many- so I could study the form and structure- and then mold one out of the mess that my story is currently in- in order to help me add clarity to my next draft - Thank you all so much for your time- and i look forward to any ideas or thoughts you might have - Stu

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Why do you need to do this? It seems to me like you're putting an entirely unnecessary obstacle in your way. I'd just finish your story and let readers figure out what the "dialectic" is. :)

jannert likes this.
  3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yeah, that's a bit like 'theme.' I think most authors just write a story. It's the scholars who come up with the 'themes.'

If you're really really keen to do this, I'd give your rough draft to a few beta readers and when they're finished ask them what they think the dialectic is. They might surprise you.

minstrel likes this.