Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Drawing another person into a suicide

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Steerpike, Dec 31, 2014.

I've seen a lot of stories about the transgendered teen who committed suicide by stepping into the path of a semi-trailer truck. There's no question in my mind that her parents' treatment of her was entirely wrong and contributed to the desire to end her life.

I haven't seen a single comment anywhere about the fact that she did it by stepping in front of a truck driven by another human being. That not only ends the life of the person committing suicide, but is a terrible thing to do to another human being. Has any word been reported on the driver of the truck?

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Not that I've heard. I can't imagine having that on my conscious.

Steerpike likes this.
  3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Yes. If I'd been driving the truck I think it is safe to say I'd be traumatized by the whole thing.

4. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributing Member Contributor

This is little off subject, but recently I almost hit a young man on a long board zooming down the hills in our neighbourhood. I was very annoyed at him and told him he should take his thrill seeking someplace he wouldn't involve others. He just couldn't understand that if I had killed or badly hurt him that it would have affected me badly. He felt that the danger was his alone and that if he wanted to get hurt it was up to him. There was no consideration as to what this would do to whomever hurt him.

5. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I've always wondered about this. Suicide is bad enough, but when you basically go 'suicide by cop' as it were by causing someone else to kill you, how must that feel to the person who did the deed? Now they have to bear that on their conscious for their rest of their lives. I would probably enter a state of depression myself if that ever happened to me.

But that's the thing. The person who steps in front of a semi-truck or a train already feels like the world doesn't care about them and would like them gone. It wouldn't even be in their mind that someone, specifically the person driving the vehicle about to ram into them, might actually care a great deal and would feel bad if they got hurt.

edamame likes this.
  6. edamame

edamame Contributing Member Contributor

Considering the state of mind you would be in to want to die, I don't think you'd be thinking about how it might affect or inconvenience others. Also, a lot of times, I think people will try to reach out to see if someone cares about them before doing this. If they find no one does, then what feelings need to be spared?

Link the Writer likes this.
  7. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Wildly experimental Contributor

8. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Staff Supporter Contributor

To the person who killed her/himself, it becomes meaningless. If you're dead, the grief of your loved ones and the anguish of the person who unwillingly "aided" you aren't your problem anymore. Who are you going to blame when your life gets fucked alongside the person who's now gone?

But it's still a pretty conflicting situation. You might feel this impotent rage towards the person who's gone, but on the other hand, when put into perspective, how terrible is the investigation of the accident (e.g. in this case the truck accident) in comparison to the anguish this person must have felt, considering she killed herself?

From the POV of the parents: it can sometimes be difficult or impossible to judge the impact of your own actions, and it'll be torment to second-guess yourself later on, whether it was your fault s/he's dead now or not. In this case, if she didn't receive the support, understanding, and acceptance she would've needed, the people who refused it from her out of fear or in an attempt to protect themselves, should look in the mirror and accept some responsibility. For example, being transgender can be very difficult to process, especially if there is nothing you can feasibly do about it, so living with yourself is a constant nightmare. Add to that some assholes who refuse to even try to understand what you're going through, doubt you and what you feel on the inside, demonize you, are ashamed of you etc etc I'm not surprised ending your life becomes an attractive option if it seems like there is no one or nothing in the world worth living for, the least yourself because you're so uncomfortable in your own body.

But involving somebody else who hasn't agreed to aid you is pretty heartless, and I would never do it myself even though it wouldn't affect me any way after I'm gone. I wouldn't even shoot myself 'cause that'll indirectly harm responsible gun owners. I wouldn't probably even overdose on meds 'cause that will make it all the more difficult for those who really need them and use them responsibly to get them in the future. Maybe I'd travel to Norway and throw myself into a fjord so at least the fish get a meal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.