1. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Sibling behavior

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Keitsumah, Feb 13, 2013.

Hey, I've been working on a book and i seem to have an odd problem of romantasizing my siblings's attitudes towards one another. I do have two siblings of my own but i don't want my characters arguing all the time -in fact they depend entirely on each other because they have no parents and are otherwise alone in a world of eternal winter besides some villagers and an elder anmed Gunthran. One of the siblings is very shy and will only speak to her brother other than a few words with Gunthran.

Any tips?

2. Pyraeus

Pyraeus New Member

I can't think of anything that I could add other than what prevents them from seeking help from the other villagers; what killed their parents; which of the two is older; is their a reason - possibly linked to their parents death? - that has caused the girl to speak to a select few individuals - those that she trusts, it seems.

Just a few thoughts; sorry I can't be of more help.

3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Here's some tips hope they help- don't have the brother rhapsodize how gorgeous his sister is, if you want to describe her beauty
    show it through someone elses eyes. Ditto the brother. Siblings rarely acknowledge one another's beauty.
    Give them separate love interests so that the reader knows incest isn't an issue ( or if your timeline won't allow
    a romance, have him think of a past love. Or if she is too shy to make a move, than at least have secretly yern for some villager. )
    Also, remember that people can disagree without it necessarily decending into a big argument. The brother sounds
    as though he'd be protective but also if he wants the best for his sister would be urging her to come out of her shell.

4. blenderpie

blenderpie Member

I think I've had like 10 real fights with my sister (after the age of like 11 or so). We're 5 years apart so we played with different toys, had different friends, and wore different toys. That pretty much led to the topics of conflict being over hogging prized seats, snacks, or remotes.

Siblings don't have to fight just because they're siblings. Only if they're trying to use the same resources at the same time.

5. Revenant

Revenant Member

How old are these characters? If they're young then they're bound to have fights sometimes, but if they're older - getting into their teens - then they may get on fine. I know my brothers and I were practically at war with one another most of the time when we were little, but now we are mostly at peace.

Is the brother older? If so, then as Peachalulu said, he may be protective. Having to take care of his sister, having only her and Gunthran, he may be more tolerant of her. And if she's shy and well behaved that may be an easy thing to do.

It's possible to have a positive relationship between siblings. But I doubt it's ever constant. So don't skimp out on a few conflicts.

6. mg357

mg357 Active Member

I have some experience with brother & sister stories i always write it where the sister is older and protective of the brother's because no one cares about the brother except for his sister who loves her brother very much, BUT she does not love him in a sexual way.

7. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Watch the film Mami - it's only out now!

dad is killed in a car crash, mam is already dead and 2 sisters ( 3 & 5) find refuge in an old house in the forest. Years later they are found by unsuspecting hunters and they cling to each other in fear. They are then reunited with the uncle and you see how they are so insulate it becomes a problem. The younger one won't interact at all while the older one is completely protective. The only other "thing" they communicate with is 'mama' - is she a ghost? I won't spoil the film but the only love they have is for each other and it's in no way incestuous - just protective and loving.