1. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Things you're tired of hearing as a writer

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Lea`Brooks, Jul 17, 2015.

We've all experienced it...

You're at a social gathering, mingling with friends and getting hammered. A stranger enters your group, or a "friend of a friend." They seem polite. Friendly. Sometimes even downright joyful. They smile and flip their hair, asking questions and poking fun as if they've known you for a lifetime.

And then it happens... The dreaded question.

"So what do you do?"

You contemplate pretending you didn't even hear them. (I'm slightly deaf in this ear. Speak a little louder next time.) But no. You don't want to be rude. You consider lying. (I invented Post-Its.) But alas.. You're terrible at lying and even this random stranger would be able to see right through you. So you admit it.

"I'm a writer."

She takes a breath, a look of pure excitement spreading across her innocently dumb face and says the one thing you hate most...

"I know a guy who just got published! I should give you his information and see if he can help you."

"I've always wanted to write a book. I just don't have the time." [sadface]

"What's your book about?"

And so on.. And so forth..

What do you hate hearing as a writer?

Nicoel likes this.
  2. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

All of the above. :)

Nicoel and Lea`Brooks like this.
  3. The Mad Regent

The Mad Regent Senior Member

I don't actually tell people I'm a writer, because I'm not; but if they ask what I enjoy doing then I usually list writing, and then it goes, 'Oh, wow, really? What kind of things do you write?' And then when you list the genres you read and write then they either get all excited or quickly change the subject, depending on their own tastes. :p

But yeah, there is the usual listed above as well.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    Lea`Brooks likes this.
  4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

"Oh, you're a writer? I just read Fifty Shades of Grey. Have you read it?"

Umm...what? :superconfused:

5. Lea`Brooks

If you write, you're a writer, even if it's just something you enjoy doing. :)

6. Lea`Brooks

I forgot one.. "Do you have a real job?"

[bashes head on table]

7. The Mad Regent

The Mad Regent Senior Member

Yeah, that's perfectly true. I had a conversation with someone about this stuff about a month ago, but can't remember what we concluded -- my memory turned to shit when I hit thirty. :(

I'm just a bit weird with how to phrase things, like I don't ever say, 'I'm writing a book/novel.' I say I'm writing a story, because that's about as generic as it gets. :) I've got nothing against people describing themselves as writers or saying they're writing a book, though. It's just a preference quirk of mine.

8. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I'm not quite sure where this is going. As demonstrated in the OP, we as a whole love to judge other people. Someone who is an adult, does not have a real job, and writes but is not published , is certainly vulnerable to mockery. It should be expected.

9. Lea`Brooks

It's just all in good fun. :) Everyone gets annoyed hearing one thing or another over and over.

10. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

I usually respond, "I'm a typist".
    I'm a programmer (solutions architect is my preferred title), but the typist thing still works in terms of honesty for me.

I look forward to the day I can honestly respond, "I'm a writer". I want to have a book they can buy before I admit that publicly.

Ivana and A J Phillips like this.
  11. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Actually, to be honest, what is being said here is what annoys me most: people who like to write calling themselves writers above and beyond their other hobbies and/or actual profession. It's an ego trip that I agree is worthy of mockery. If you work in a brick factory, and you say you're a writer because that's what you like doing in your spare time, you're just embarrassed to be working in a brick factory. It would be like someone who likes to ski saying they are a skier, even though they work as a bus driver.

Since writing is not my profession, and just a hobby, when someone asks me what I do I never state one of my hobbies but instead answer the question as it's intended: what do I do to make money. That ain't writing.

The question isn't: what do you do for fun? It's not: what do you do to be creative? It is an abbreviation for: what do you do for income. FFS.

12. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

"Are you still writing your stories?" at family gatherings :rolleyes:

"What do you write?" is my favorite though. How do you mean? What genre(s) do I write? What format? Fiction vs non-fiction? What themes I explore in my writing?

I like answering with "I'm a freelance writer" because it leaves me open to elaborate that I write advertisements, articles, blurbs, and whatnot. No one's interested in that shit. Diverting attention away from the question is my MO.

jannert and Lea`Brooks like this.
  13. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

You all run in the strangest circles. I've never had the "what do you do" conversation. Where do you go to have one of those?

Is it karaoke? I'll bet it's karaoke.

GingerCoffee and Shadowfax like this.
  14. Selbbin

Through most social groups, one of the first questions people ask to get to know you is 'what do you do?'. Same at parties or dinners where you meet new people. It's a default question.

And I've been ordered by the government not to do karaoke, due to 'reasons of public safety'.

jannert likes this.
  15. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Yeah I was there that night... What you did was just horrible. I mean there were children present!

I hate answering the question " what do you write" when in talking to someone who doesn't either read a lot or write themselves. I usually just say "oh you know just about anything really. Mostly fantasy." Maybe throw in science fiction even if I haven't really written any scifi.

I also hate how some point out the odds of success. It's as if they think I haven't actually looked into it. That I don't know the odds are stacked against me to get published let alone be successful.

Really annoying.

jannert likes this.
  16. Jack Asher

Are these social groups that do things other than hiking or gaming? Because in those two circles no one gives a single fuck what you do for a living. Do I have to get drunk? Is that a key element?

17. Selbbin

Actually, my social groups are almost purely hiking.

18. Jack Asher

So, when you meet someone on the mountain, they don't ask about the hike, or the terrain, or what else you've climbed, or your gear, what you've got to eat, or how long you've been out; they ask about what you do at your job?

19. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I don't tell people 'I'm a writer,' because that's not how I define myself. However, if people ask me what I've been doing with my spare time, I'll (sometimes) say "I've been writing a novel." Then comes the deluge of responses ...which, I suppose, is natural.

What's it about? When is it going to be finished? When is it getting published?

And my favourite: Can I read it?

Oh ...yes you can. Bwah - ha - ha!

Then if they insist ...but only if they insist ...a huge MS gets dumped on them from above.

Some are then sorry they ever spoke. :twisted:

Mckk, Lea`Brooks, Ivana and 2 others like this.
  20. Selbbin

Usually when I get picked up, or when sitting in camp. Yes. Almost always someone inevitably asks: so what do you do? And yes I've had strangers ask me on top of a mountain. It's not like they only get to ask one question. Conversations can last a lot longer than 'nice day? yup.' What do you do usually follows from, where are you from. These are standard. Boringly so.

Seriously, are you actually questioning this, as if I'm making it up? I mean, really? Wtf dude? Have you never been asked what you do? ever? really? You honestly want me to believe that?

21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Are you still writing your little stories?

Nicoel, izzybot, Lea`Brooks and 2 others like this.
  22. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Yeeeeeeah

I.....don't really mind most of the things listed. I used to be shy talking about it and still kinda am but I'm sure that's common but I've improved in talking about it. Not that I'm trying to judge anybody and yeah those questions can be annoying if ya hear them enough but I kinda secretly love it....ya know? Makes me really happy.

I'm happy to talk about that, ain't no big deal and if they ask and boy when they ask can they read it of if they show any sort of interest my heart is practically jumping.

I love writing and I love talking about what I write or what others write, people taking an interest in my passion even for a second or just to be polite is honor, heck maybe if they do read it they'll be able to point out some things that maybe you need to go over again while editing.

As for how I define myself.......

You bet your bottom that I say I'm a WRITER!!!!

I haven't published jack yet and I've made no money on it but its more then a hobby for me) At least in my own nonsensical mind( and if somebody asks me I always say "Well I'm doing so and so right now (in between jobs atm) and I'm a writer!"

Heck even if writing is just a hobby for you you're still a writer to some degree even if you don't say it in casual conversation.

If you write pretty frequently then I consider you one.

Lea`Brooks and plothog like this.
  23. Aaron DC

As a writer I reckon you'd pick up on those subtle hints even more readily.
    And that sort of query would flick a switch for a comeback from me... :ninja:

24. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I don't have this problem. People know I'm an advanced practice nurse (sorry, trying to get used to the new name for nurse practitioners). When I tell them I'm writing a novel they are excited for me. I don't need to identify myself as a writer until the book is finished.

25. Aaron DC

practice nurse sounds silly vs nurse practitioner to me :meh:

Nicoel and Mckk like this.