1. Tale

Tale New Member

Dreadful Essays

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Tale, Jan 2, 2007.

Essays inspire such a small amount of motivation it defies belief.

I'm in my final year at school, and as the final exams approach, the deadline for all coursework distributed throughout this year and last approaches even faster. However, I have two essays, both of them started last Spring time - and I've yet to finish them.

HOW on EARTH can I find any kind of inspiration to write these things? I sit there reading what I've written, and I just can't continue, it's like ongoing writers block.

Is there some kind of method to make essay writing more fruitful? Perhaps tips that shorten the workload? I'm really struggling here, so any kind of advice regarding essays would be highly appreciated.

2. trace the artist

trace the artist New Member

well what's the topic for the essays?

3. Tale

Tale New Member

Well there's two, the first is a media topic and we're studying 'The Sixth Sense', the question reads:

'In the first ten minutes, how does the film director of 'The Sixth Sense' make use of various media techniques to decieve the audience?'

The second is studying a play, 'An Inspector Calls', which I've come to despise. The question reads:

'What clues does J.B. Priestly give in Act 1 that the Birlings' world is about to be destroyed? How are the audience prepared for the downfall of the family?'

I've written about two pages for the first, and one and a bit for the second. I just can't motivate myself.

4. trace the artist

why not just try to pace yourself? like, write an allotted amount a day. it's better knowing you don't have to sit down and do it all at once.

5. Tale

Tale New Member

I would, but not only have I not found much time to do so recently, but I've missed the deadline already and they have to be in ASAP or I'll be beheaded or something. Thank you for the suggestion though, much appreciated.

6. Siggi

Siggi Member

Well, if you can you could try to do what I did with our WWII essay: make it into a story. Instead of essay form I made it so that it was excerpts from Hitler's diary. I got a 10++ and a speech from the teacher where he praised my essay about originality :-D

It works, I'm telling you!

7. Tale

Tale New Member

Actually, that sounds fantastic. I'd love to make the essay into something different, perhaps I should seek permission from my teacher beforehand though.

I do like that idea, thank you very much for the contribuition.

8. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributing Member Contributor

if your teacher syas no to you turning it into a story then you could try to cheat a little. in class we are analysing The Tempest (William Shakespeare) and when we have to write essays, i find that sometimes, it helps to repeat a point that you have already used, just word it differently, or use a different quote for back-up. etc. i ended up getting a good mark for my essays, although to me it sounded like i had said the same thing, lol.
    hope this helps any,
    heather

9. trace the artist

you don't want to do that a lot, though. i was forced to do that in a paper due to me being an ass and changing the entire thing a few hours beforehand, anddddddd i wanted to shoot myself with the end result.

10. slipperywhenwet

slipperywhenwet New Member

Well for the inspector calls one. Make sure to comment a lot on things that birling says, i.e that the war will not hapen etc. How he thinks instead of being nouveau riche he is a born and bred upper class which he is not, note the accent that priestly gives him. And comment alot on the dramatic irony of the scene (that we know things that arthur is saying is not true) and that he is all too confident in himself and that he is due a shortcoming. Also include things that are said about his son in the first act and how detached he is from his farther and how much more briling is a father to gerald? (think thats his name). Mainly you need to comment on the theme that birling ignores those around him and only thinks of himself and his trying to keep his pseudo upper class status. That should give you a few ideas about what to write. I did alright wth that kind of mindset when did my essays on an "IC". Just a few ideas that might get your mind ticking over. Oh and hard luck on the piss poor play that an "IC" is. I hated it. Such a boring play and with boring settings and such a poor ending.

11. Fantasy of You

Fantasy of You Banned

If the concept of success isn't enough to motivate you, I don't know what else there could be. Essays are a bitch, but the sooner you get locked in there, the sooner it'll be done, to spout the cliche. I've done similar essays for media, so if you need any help just PM me.

- FoY

12. Gateship

Gateship Member

OMG are they still doing that question?! I remember doing that essay for English Lit. Unfortunately I can't remember what I wrote (it was a very long time ago).

Have they made you watch the appauling film of the stage play yet? *shudders*

13. slipperywhenwet

slipperywhenwet New Member

Tell me about it mate. Worst film ever official. Haha it was so bad it was comical like the old film of Macbeth with the poor effects for the hallucination knife. Plays should stay on stage and away from film.