Dreams crushed by Edward?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mikee, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You can write about anything you want. What makes the writing original is not the subject or major story points, it's details like characterization and the writer's voice.

Still, if a market is saturated, you MAY have difficulty getting anyone to read far enough into it to find out if your writing is any good.

The success of Twilight proves that the vampire market isn't totally saturated, although I'm admittedly (personally) tired of hearing about vampire stories.

2. BadGrammar

BadGrammar New Member

after a long night of drinking, I've managed to read through the first 2 posts in this thread and have no idea where the conversation is now.

but my two cents, if you will.

did J R Tolkien stop any fantasy writers from creating their own worlds and writing about dragons?

did Douglas Adams ruin the science fiction genre for all the writers following him?

After Shakespeare wrote all those plays, did someone say "well crap, romantic tragedy's are played out now, no one wants to see my play..."

if anything, the twilight series has only sparked an interest in the vampire genre. what do you think all those highschool girls are going to do after they read all the twilight books and buy all the edward posters and write a million myspace bullets titled "I CANT WANT FOR NEW MOON TO COME TO THEATERS!!!! OMG!!!!"... they're going to find other vampire novels.

so all these fads that seem to take over the market for a specific genre, in reality create more of a demand for it.

for some people, a specific genre is heroine. and the more there is out there, the more you want.

I read zombie horror stuff... and there is NOT enough good zombie novels/movies out there. I read/watched all of them.... the list is short. I WISH someone would come along and write some awesome zombie novel/series.

3. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

All those teens who devoured the Twilight series are eager for more Vampire-related romances. I think they'd probably read anything to extend the fantasy at this point, even if Twilight is forever their favorite.

I agree most Hobbitt, Lord of the Ring fans have read every other book with a similar topic.

4. Darker Rarechild

Darker Rarechild New Member

Twilight didn't ruin Vampires...Ann Rice ruined Vampires. There seems to be a trend of writing Vampires who are extremely emo. Now, I love vampires, they are my favorite fictional creature, but I mean, come on, does EVERY vampire now have to be an insightful, emotional wreck?

Buffy is a great example. Angel was a wuss and I hated him. But man, Angelus sure was a Bad@$$. Spike was totally awesome too.

Although I have to say I am in concourance. If its good, it will be read. Dracula still gets read. Rice's novels didn't stop 'Salems Lot. (Although I'm not sure if 'Salems lot was before or after Rice)

5. Noodleguy

Noodleguy New Member

Since when are Meyer's vampires insightful or emotional, or wrecks? Edward is flat, cold, and collected.

I dunno about Rice's novels either. Lestat isn't emo. I mean, yeah, he's messed up, but he's also pretty badass. And Louie isn't emo he's just a sissy. :p

As for the topic of this thread...definitely not. Teens are EAGER for more vampires. They love vampires, they want more more more vampires. You're expanding into an already popular trend...that's a good thing. And honestly, I don't think it'll be that hard to make something better than Twilight. *cough* my six year old brother could do it *cough*

6. Darker Rarechild

Bah! I didn't mean insightful, wrong word. Um, introspective,that is it, I think. lol! I haven't read Twilight or Rice for that matter, but what I seem to hear about and read on a constant basis it that it has regretful vampires in it, and thats not a vampire. Least not to me. Vampires are predators and should be.

Pretty much everything I read and hear is a turn off from those books. Yes, your better off just reading them, but I don't like Rice's style. I might view Twilight when I can pick up a copy second hand.

7. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

Whatever you do, don't try to get on your library's waiting list... I did that and found out I was 119th in line. Sheesh. All because I didn't want to have to buy a 'freaky sounding' book just to see what was so great about it, lol. :redface: I did get to read them, fyi, and have to admit, I consumed the entire series in a week. Some people may turn their nose up at them, but they made a pretty good read, for me. :) And I admire Stephanie Meyers for being able to write them as fast as she did--with three kids to take care of. :eek: It must be thrilling to know you've written something so completely addicting for readers. I'm doing good if 50 people view my short stories here...:rolleyes:

8. Noodleguy

Noodleguy New Member

Well, don't mistake me, I'm no Rice fan really. Well, her earlier stuff was good but then she found religion and got all freaky and spiritual and introspective...And I'm definitely not a Twilight fan. I agree with you completely on what vampires should be. The way I see it, there were two waves of vampire fiction

WAVE # 1: Vampires as predators. These vampires are arch-villains, extremely evil, and must be confronted and killed by brave and rugged adventurers. Exemplified by: Dracula.
    WAVE # 2: Vampires as misunderstood and emo. These vampires are "vegetarians," wouldn't hurt a fly, and are generally likable but misunderstood. Exemplified by: Twilight.

I'm hoping that there will be a counter-counter-culture that reverses the second wave and makes Vampires into...something else. The archetypal villain is cliche, in my opinion, but I think the vegetarian vampire has become just as cliche.

9. BadGrammar

BadGrammar New Member

I would like to see the "everyday" vampire. every vampire story ever, the vampires are always rich, accompanied by their charisma and immortality, they are very hard to relate to.

what about nosferatu, the janator on walmarts night shift? what about the vampire mechanic, who doesn't even need a lift to put a motor in your car, and is paying child support to his ex wife to support 3 little half vampires?

I think its about time we got to know the working class vampire.

10. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

LOL!!! :rolleyes: That would be interesting...

11. Darker Rarechild

I'll be honest with you, I totally loved the idea in the first two paragraph, but you kinda lost me with the Vampire part. The whole third paragraph also seemed like the Idea from X-2(X-Men 2) where they wanted to cure the mutants.

Thats just my take on the synopsis, but no, you don't seem unoriginal so far at all.

Personally, do what pleases you and take what I say with a bottle of salt. As I like to say, "Its my opinion and I've been known to be wrong...not often, though" lol! Just ignore the tail end of the quote.

12. Darker Rarechild

I agree, and I think BadGrammar hit the nail on the head. The middle class working Vampire. Funniest thing I have read in a while. lol!