1. Hooker

Hooker New Member

Drinking Heroine/Coumadin

Discussion in 'Research' started by Hooker, May 9, 2012.

Hi, Newbie here :),
    I have a quick question for those more experienced than I. I have been trying to track down the effects of drinking a mixture of powdered street heroine and water. I am most interested in whether the effects would be similar to injecting the heroine (although I imagine you would need a higher dose to achieve overdose). I have already looked this up on the "Howdunit" poison series and found it unsatisfactory. Basically I need this to kill off a character under particular circumstances.

I would also be thankful if someone could point me in the direction of a poison that would immediately cause massive bleeding and death. I have thought about a high dose of coumandin (warfarin) but the effect of this poison is more realistic if administered over time; also I have not been able to identify the dosage for immediate death.

Thanks in advance.

2. MissRis

MissRis New Member

Have you tried just googling "death by poison"? I did that and found this website: http://ctrl-c.liu.se/~ingvar/methods/poison.html

I don't know why someone, other than writers, would want this type of information but it seemed (from a quick scan) fairly extensive. They even talk about how to prevent yourself from vomiting up certain poisons. I think the first few are common like cyanide & rat poison (warfarin), but they suggest a few others.

3. MVP

MVP Member

Heparin is an anticoagulant, but its injected, not sure if you can get away with an injectable.

There are elements in the coagulation pathway that you could play with to support a bleed, you could also do this with platelet pathways, or use them in conjunction. If you dive into coag or platelet pathways, be aware that it will be heavy material for a person not trained in the medical field. Its not impossible to understand, but coag is a very long and complex pathway.

Heroin metabolizes to morphine; too much causes the lungs to drown in froth. I don't know if it will have the same effects after bypassing the liver (it will bypass the liver if you administer it by eating / drinking).

4. Hooker

Hooker New Member

Thanks guys, this was really helpful :), especially the link, it may be location filtering but I don`t get good google results for poisons, and I have been scouring the web.

5. Adept

Adept New Member

Warfarin has already been mentioned, but that's the sort of drug I'd go for for the massive bleeding you want. There are apparently some second-gen anti-coagulants they use that are 'better' and longer-lasting. However, using an anti-coagulant would you not need somewhere for your character to bleed from? Perhaps I'm being dim, unfortunately I'm running out of research time (on lunch at work!) so can't check.

I've got to say I think it's probably a little unrealistic that people would take heroin orally - I don't think you'd get the same 'rush' effect (as it would have to be digested and metabolised) and it would also provide less effect for dose. Are we talking about a heroin user here or is heroin the poison?

6. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

asprin is a blood thinner and would also cause stomach ulcers if used too much
    Lovanox
    Coumadin/Warfarin

The coumadin is actually used by exterminators locally. We had an infestation of voles a few years back and they left traps of coumadin around. They would eat whatever was in the traps and overdose eventually having massive internal bleeding.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'drinking heroine' made me wonder if the poor thing had been liquified by your story's villain! ;)

8. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

We always have a few small bleeds, from what I understand. Coagulation stops them when they're small.

9. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

I lol'ed at this entry:

Joker, anyone?