1. TheSilverBeetle

TheSilverBeetle Member

Drive to Write

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by TheSilverBeetle, Mar 17, 2012.

Do you try to write at least a little bit everyday? I mean sometimes I'm not in the mood to write but I feel like I should anyway just to keep things going. What do you think?

2. Sil

Sil New Member

I'm the same way...when I have an important RP going, I can't help but feel obligated to post at least once or twice to keep it going. But, you know...sometimes it's good to take a break. Everyone has a mood for everything, and writers are artists. We're the pickiest people ever, unless you count critics. Take a break every once in a while...and if you must post, just post, "Hey, everyone...I have to take a break for today. My characters just don't want to make my fingers work right now. The moment I can, I'll write something." Then, when you feel like it again, post your work and make everybody happy:D

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I usually set aside some time at night to write, though it's not always possible. Having discipline is a major factor in separating great writers from everyone else. If you want to have a writing career, you have to be able to treat writing as a job (i.e. working several hours a day).

4. Kaymindless

Kaymindless Contributing Member

Hmm, I usually try to write something a day, even if it's just a handful of sentences, but I've gone and not written for weeks at a time if it's really not working for me (usually after some binge writing.) Basically, I'm not a fan of forcing myself to do anything, so, I'll give myself a little break to rest my brain.

5. NeedMoreRage

NeedMoreRage Member

I haven't written anything for the past two weeks, so no, I don't feel as though I have to write something every day. I could do it if I really wanted to, but I have no plans to ever publish anything, so it's not like I have to finish anything.

6. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

I try to write something everyday, 500 words a day makes me feel satisfied but sometimes I don't reach it. If that happens, I don't try force it. If I do that, my writing will come out more worse than usual.

7. MsScribble

MsScribble Member

When I'm well, I make an effort to write every morning weekdays.

8. Jonathan Pushkin

Jonathan Pushkin Member

Reading stimulates me to write. I also take needless breaks and only feel obligated to write to keep the flow, but the desire to is there, and it needs to be backed up by influence from this forum or other authors. Sometimes I watch cornell University public reading. That get's me going since I am all about prose. But, yeah, reading books reminds you why you want to write. Sometimes writers are hard on themselves, and feel directionless, so they need a bit of reminding as to why they are subjecting themselves to this.

I write maybe a bit...three or four times a week. :s

9. baggy

baggy Member

I may not always write every day but I think about my stories, characters etc. everyday.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't ever have to 'try to write' every day [btw, 'everyday' means 'ordinary'... as in: 'it was an everday occurrence' ;) ]...

why?... because i write every single day of the year, in the course of mentoring writers and dealing with my writing services clients' needs, as well as on my own work whenever something needs to be written... and, when working on a major writing project of my own, the only problem i have with the writing is making myself stop now and then to eat, or sleep, or take a potty break...

11. Kaymindless

Kaymindless Contributing Member

Those are my binges. Oh boy, when you forget your body needs to actually do something other than writing... For me, I even forget coffee which is something I live on; I swear the only thing that ends one of the binges is the withdrawals kicking in.

12. michaelj

michaelj Senior Member

Siince I've got a job, I tend to just write as a hobby... However my story is seemingly turning out to be something quite nice. I usually write about 2000-4000 words every odd day or so.

13. Erato

Erato Contributing Member

This is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Right. Basically I write when I want to, which is when I have a story ready to be written, which isn't as often as I'd like.

14. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

I try to write every day, but I don't beat myself up if I'm not in the mood for a couple of days, (like right now) I know I'm a frequent enough writer to end up with a finished draft in a reasonable time when I do write. Right now I'm between stories and don't write at all, and haven't for days! It feels weird, like something's missing from my life, but I probably need the rest.

15. CLM1188

CLM1188 New Member

Ideally I would like to write every day, but many things pull my concentration from writing. My job obviously takes large chunks out of my time. Family obligations and working-out are two other big factors.

When I finally get to write I find that writing alongside other writers helps drive me forward.