Tags:
  1. Polyphonic-Canary

Polyphonic-Canary Member

Dual-Narrative?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Polyphonic-Canary, Jun 30, 2009.

Hi all,

I've had a plot idea brewing for a couple years now, which has obviously been changed and erased countless times. Unfortunately I've never been able to get very far into the plot without getting distracted. The story was meant to centre around two male protagonists going through the same experience, however, I often feel I'm verging off towards one character's story and opinions more than the other. This is when I decided to write in first person instead of third, splitting the narrative. Sounds like a stupid question but: is this technique normally effective? Or does it overcomplicate the plot?

2. sprirj

sprirj Contributing Member

I think it sounds like a great idea. I know alot of people will argue against it, but I say ' What the Heck!' You learn from your mistakes and its best to just get something down rather than worry about whats best, that in my opinion will come. Just write. Correct later.

3. bluebell80

bluebell80 Contributing Member

I sometimes like when a writer will write FP POV with more than one character. I've read a couple of books like that, and enjoy it quite a bit. You can get the same event seen from two different points of view and pull the reader in much deeper into the story.

I say go for it.

4. lovely

lovely Member

You won't know anything until you try it. See how it goes.

5. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Susan Howatch writes in first person and changes narrator every section. It works for her.

6. Dcoin

Dcoin Contributing Member

I’ve used this technique with two novels now and I still have more I'd like to explore with this style.

I'm currently trying it out using three 1st person narratives. It's nice to know somebody else is writing something similar.

7. Polyphonic-Canary

Polyphonic-Canary Member

Thanks for the input, guys. Seems to be working quite well with the first few chapters! I've been debating adding a third speaker for the prologue, but I guess that's another experiment...

Dcoin: Good luck! I'll keep an eye out for your work. :)