1. AmandaC

AmandaC New Member

What is YOUR genre?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by AmandaC, Oct 13, 2009.

When you write do you stick to the same genre or do you experiment?

I don't really have a niche (although I have a preference for writing fantasy/science-fiction I often stop myself because I feel like I'm somehow regurgitating everything I've ever read.) I don't know if I'm helping or hindering myself.

Thoughts?:confused:

2. Berserkr

Berserkr New Member

Just write what you want to write. If you try too hard to stick to a specific genre, your work may become cliched and boring. Write it first, then figure out what genre it belongs to.

3. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

Read more mixed material. If you wanna write sci-fi but don't wanna copy other works of sci-fi, then read everything but sci-fi and draw your inspirations from there.

4. alchemy

alchemy New Member

Personally I can't stand much sci-fi or fantasy, my favourite authors are the likes of Brett Easton Ellis and Jay McInerney. Not really sure what the genre for this style is really called (post modern/transgressive?). Never been interested in fiction that isn't.... let us say possible? If you know what I mean? I just find the human condition so interesting, especially the seedy underbelly of society regarding drugs and all that jazz. Maybe I just don't have the imagination for Sci-Fi/Fantasy.

5. architectus

architectus Banned

Sci-fi, fantasy, horror, thriller, romance.

Don't worry about if you're ideas don't feel original. Just create your own characters and explore the themes you wish to explore. There is a reason the same types of books keep selling. People want more of the same. People want more Star Wars, more Star Trek, more Vampires, more LOTR, more, more, more.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

in my old writing-for-money life, i never limited myself to a single genre, or even medium, having written just about anything that takes words...

in my 'maia' life, though i do have a historical novel, plus a post-apocalyptic one and its screenplay version in the works [which i doubt i will ever complete, since i do nothing for money anymore], i write mostly philosophical essays and what i call 'philosetry' and also may write an occasional song lyric, all of which arise from my 'day job' as a practicing philosopher...

7. Eddyz Aquila

Eddyz Aquila New Member

Historical fiction, thriller, ironic/satirical.
    But even psychological, I like to explore traditional themes in regards to characters, and focus on them heavily rather than the action.

8. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I never used to stick to a genre when I first began writing, but I did enjoy writing war poetry. I just find it is really easy to do. Now I write horror poetry, well... I did write it. I haven't really written anything in about 8 months now.

9. bruce

bruce Active Member

crime, suspense and science fiction.

10. Kas

Kas New Member

I'm a fantasy nut, so I write a lot of that. But out of six novels-in-progress, :)eek:) the one closest to completion happens to be romance/suspence. And only three of the six novels are fantasy/sci-fi.

11. Twisted Inversely

Twisted Inversely New Member

My imagination. But I drop by the real world for m
    I try to write stuff I would personally like to read, and since most of the books I read are in the fantasy/ Sci-fi category so I tend to gravitate towards those two genres.

12. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

I like to write, whatever comes out at the time is fine by me. I write more fiction then non; wrote a few poems. I like to think that genre is quite a loose concept. But I don't have the foreplanning ability to hide and disguise, so I reckon I probably couldn't write crime. :p

13. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

For me the genre of the book doesn't come into play until after I write the book. Most times however, my works tend to be fanasy/fiction. Even though I tend to read a lot of adveture novels, some crime novels and have a taste for old fashioned poetry.

14. SayWhatNow?

SayWhatNow? New Member

I write whatever comes to me, which is normally the weirdest ideas fathomable by the human mind, and some only fathomable to birds.

15. essential life

essential life New Member

I like writing science fiction, but not hard science fiction. I like writing romance, comedy, drama or action stories that just happen to take place within a fantastic, futuristic setting.

16. Fox Favinger

Fox Favinger New Member

I wish I could tell you! A recent script I've been working on has elements of horror, sci-fi, thriller, and even mystery. I've only got one story that seems to be a straight up thriller. I seem to stray towards sci-fi, but I focus on possible technology rather than plausible technology. Plus I can easily put things into modern day. So I guess thriller is my main deal with occasional elements or settings that are sci-fi.

I guess my best bet is to just keep on writing and then have someone else classify my writing after I'm done. I'll have someone else decide what genre will sell best for me lol

17. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

Thrillers.

18. Kio

Kio New Member

I tend to mix everything up. I can't stick to one genre, it's not in my nature. My imagination leans on fantasy, but I tend to mix in a whole lot of other things such as psychological thriller, action, adventure, friendship, romance (it'svery scarce, ,though), etc.

19. UnknownBearing

UnknownBearing New Member

I like to get involved in a lot of things. I wrote a short story that took place in Grand Central Station during the 30s, but other than that, a lot of my stories have to do with... well... government organizations. Whether it's present day, alternate timeline, or in the far future, like a sci-fi. Dunno why it's always like that but... I guess I like writing about having to run from a terrifying nearly invisible force.

One of my major projects involves super powers though. With all my stories however, I like to take a close look at life. Everything I write is an odyssey through the humanity of every character. I like mysteries too. They're... fun.

20. Seafire

Seafire New Member

Usually for me its fantasy, although sometimes I can delve into the horror genre. (the sticky kind)

21. LucyP

LucyP Member

I read a lot of horror and sci-fi and when I write short stories it tends to be one or the other of those, but it bothers me that I have read so much that I might be unconsciously adapting what I might have already read. I have a novel on the go as well, a thriller. I don't read many thrillers aside from those by Martina Cole. I like her style, characterisation and the East-End London gangland settings. But as my novel is set in Manchester and about a former IRA hardman, I feel I can write with no fear of replicating

22. Fox Favinger

Fox Favinger New Member

I think it's ok to emulate what you've read. The concepts behind the stories they wrote aren't completely new and you could do well by doing a new take on it. I've been guilty of this myself and I don't care.

23. arron89

arron89 Banned

Emulating what you read isn't just okay, its practically essential. Only a very, very select few are capable of developing writing style and proficiency in a vacuum. Writing like your favourite authors and eventually absrbing aspects of their style into your own is an important way to develop your own voice as a writer. The important thing is to try to be aware of what you are emulating and why it works.

24. Jessica

Jessica New Member

I do adventure stories, which almost always have a romantic aspect. I tend to avoid fantasy, action, and horror, and I've recently learned to love sci-fi.

25. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

I grew up reading sci-fi, horror, war novels and history books, therefore it's inevitable that in my work I mix up all these genres....but officially I've to say that my novel is military sci-fi.