1. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Contest Winner! DueNorth wins the December 2016 contest!

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Short Story Contest' started by Tenderiser, Jan 1, 2017.

Congratulations to @DueNorth who came first place with Alexander's Bear, a haunting story of a mother and son struggling through trauma in different ways.

Next in the running we have a tie:

@dbesim with Mother Snowman, an amusing tale of childhood revenge.

@Fernando.C with The Von Catus Murders, the witty story of a talking cat trying to escape snowmen hit men.

Great crop of stories this month; well done everybody!

2. dbesim

dbesim Contributing Member

I'm thrilled for joint second place. I never get to be second place!

Congratulations @DueNorth for your chilling story, Alexander's Bear, a worthy win, and by some landslide!

Congrats too @Fernando.C, I'm honoured to have tied with you (I voted for your story). I thought it was funny, particularly when the mayor comes into it and then the twist that he's in on it and revelation that Von Catus is a cat with more lives. Poor thing.

Nice contest, and good use of the prompts all round!

Fernando.C and Tenderiser like this.
  3. Lifeline

Lifeline The Dark - not in Wonderland Contributor

Well done, everyone, and congratulations to the winners! I enjoyed reading the entries :)

dbesim and Fernando.C like this.
  4. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Active Member

Congratulations @DueNorth for a very well-deserved win. I loved your story and voted for it, it was beautifully-written and as Tenderiser said haunting.

I'm happy to have came in second, considering the quality of the entries. Speaking of which congrats are in order to @dbesim, I couldn't more happy to share the second place with you. I really enjoyed your story, it was sweet and heartwarming, and I'm happy Amy got her revenge on Gareth :D. Oh and I'm glad you enjoyed my story and voted for it, thank you!
    For me it was a toss up between @dbesim and @DueNorth 's stories when it came to voting, it realy wasn't an easy choice to make.

Overall I really enjoyed this contest, it had a great prompt which lead to load of awesome entries and I enjoyed everyone of them. So well done everybody!

Mocheo Timo and dbesim like this.
  5. DueNorth

DueNorth Active Member

Fifth time is the charm! I've come close a couple other times and more than once have thought that I'm not entering another damn WF short story contest 'cuz there are just too damn many good writers out there--ain't fair! So, to go up against the likes uf @dbesim, @Fernando.C, @Alphonse Capone , and @matwoolf , all former winners, and pull off a victory, I am pleased that I took another shot at it.

I really puzzled about how to incorporate the prompt in a believable manner. I'm writing my novel in 3rd person multiple, and I first wrote this story in 3rd person--actually from the POV of Alerxander's therapist, but it felt too distant. So I rewrote the piece in first person from the mother's POV, and I learned a lot from doing it--which, to me, is what the challenge (and the forum) is all about. Thanks to all who took the time to read the entries and vote.

I just posted the piece in the workshop (crime and thriller). I am interested in feedback from those who didn't like it as well as those who did. Unlike a certain U.S. politician, I am well aware that, even though I won, a majority of the voters did not choose me/my story.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  6. Mocheo Timo

Mocheo Timo Active Member

Congratz @DueNorth for the win!
    I did not vote for your story since I was looking for something more outside-the-box-ish. As I saw it, associating a teddy bear with a child and the trigger with a police gun were the first thing that would come to anyone's mind. Still the story was very well written and the plot surely was compelling.

Congratz @dbesim and @Fernando.C
    I had in mind voting for Mother Snowman until I read the Von Catus one.
    Mother Snowman made a brilliant children's story. The choice of words, the plot, the flow, they were really good!
    The Von Catus one was my favorite though.
    It was the most outside-the-box kind of theme. I honestly had a blast reading it.
    I'm glad both stories got 2nd.

There was one other story I really liked, Shit Sometimes Happens.
    Whoever wrote the story, I must say congrats for a great job!
    In terms of plot it was the best one I read. I enjoyed it.

So true!
    The stories in this competition were great.
    It's quite intimidating to take part.
    I'm satisfied with 2 votes for Il Macchiato Down
    (I'm open for any comments and suggestions about the story if anyone's interested).
    That shiny medal on the avatar surely looks nice (and I certainly hope for one :D) but taking part in those competitions is somehow self-rewarding.
    I must say congratz for the WF team and @Tenderiser for doing a good job in organizing everything as well!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Tenderiser, dbesim and Fernando.C like this.
  7. Tenderiser

@Wreybies There's a sheeny shiny medal to be awarded :D

Mocheo Timo and Foxxx like this.
  8. 20oz

20oz Active Member

Should these contests be numbered again? What will happen when @Wreybies runs out of months? Dec-2?

9. Tenderiser

December 2016
    December 2017
    etc
    :D

10. 20oz

20oz Active Member

If I ever win, I want mine to say #1. Then everyone will make me their GOD! :twisted:

Also, congrats DueNorth. It was a very good entry. I enjoyed reading it.

DueNorth likes this.