Dumdumdidum! Wedding Bells and the rest!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SeaBreeze, Mar 19, 2008.

1. lessa

lessa New Member

A tip for the catering. I don't know how it is in Australia but here we have the Legion and the Moose Hall and they rent out the space for receptions and weddings and you can also get the women who belong to cater the meal.
    Plain home cooking or fancier what ever you request. The food has always been good when we have been to the dinners and they are very reasonable.
    So maybe check out the service clubs in the area.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The Moose Hall? <laughing> If there were any doubt you're in Canada, that would dispel it, eh? ;)

3. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Cheeky. :p Heh. There's isn't much where I am in Australia. If I was in NSW or such, or up in Perth I might have more of a chance. But here.. The chances are that we may have the reception at the country club/ golf club but I have no idea. My mum just rekons we should elope and she will throw a bbq when we get back- probably cheaper in the long run! :p

4. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

If you don't elope, one thing that was a big help for me. Address envelopes for thank you notes at the same time you address your wedding invitations.

Although I like the elope/BBQ idea. We thought about it, but my mother in law would have disliked me even more than she does now.

5. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

Wow! does she seriously dislike you?? It's my great getting a mother-inlaw who doesn't like me, although with my rotten luck I'd probably get one whose so sweet that I won't miss my mom........which I won't anyways.....it must be so fun, right? Living the perfect typical Bollywood saas-bahu life *sigh*.

(I know, I know, I'm mad....lol)

6. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

lol.

My BF's mum immeadiatly said that his sister (whom I havn't even met) has to be the maid/matron of honor. o_O I have chatted to his sister before and she seems pretty cool and told her while I am happy for her to be a bridesmaid, I have already chosen my maid of honor. I mean, if she thinks the maid/matron of honor has to have kids- I have a friend that has children and I have a Sister with children. So I was like *gripping hair* It begins!

But great tip about addressing the thankyou notes. The thing is, I just have to remember what everyone gets me! :( erm.. I mean us....:D :p

7. lessa

lessa New Member

As you open the gift have a friend Matron of Honour write on the card that came with it what it is. that way you have it handy when you send thankyou cards.

8. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Good idea!

9. lessa

lessa New Member

Also for cash gifts. Have the largest friend you or your husband knows keep it in his front pants pocket.
    That would be the safest place for it. Just remember to have the amount of each gift on the card to say thanks.

10. RomanticRose

She doesn't actually dislike me as a human being. She doesn't wish anything bad to happen to me. I'm just not nearly good enough to be married to her only son. I am not even in the same universe with the nice Jewish girl she would have chosen. The wedding (small and secular) was not proper and she didn't get to make a single decision about it; I won't be having children. That is only the beginning of the litany. When we first set the date she even threatened to disown him. There was a running bet as to whether she would actually sit shiva after the wedding.

11. Rickie writes

Rickie writes New Member

What would make you happy? (He's happy if your happy.)

Does everyone know this or are they telling you what would make you happy?

Who is paying for the wedding? Does he, she or them know what makes you happy.

You can't please everyone so make sure you please yourself.
    (He's happy if your happy.)

If they love you they will happy when your happy. If they are not (like maybe a mother in law) they will proably never be happy. Don't worry about them.

At our wedding my wife and I wanted to make sure everyone had a great time: good food, too much to drink, and a great DJ to keep people dancing.

Above all else...have fun!

I know it can be more complicated than this but what do I know, I'm just a man.:rolleyes:

12. Sywo

Sywo New Member

Congratulations! I can't really give you any suggestions as I've never been to a wedding, but I will give you some good, general advice; Don't let people with appetites similar to my own any where near free food. 'Nuf said I think.

Also heres a joke;

Q Whats the difference between inlaws and outlaws?
    A Outlaws are wanted!

I hope you enjoyed my humor!

Seriously though, I wish you all the best!

13. RomanticRose

If your venue only has bathrooms with narrow little stalls, rethink the big poofy ballgown skirt. A hoop skirt combined with a narrow stall is a recipe for finding out who your real friends are.

If your dress requires a special bra, test drive it. Wear it around for at least six hours prior to the big day, so you can make any necessary adjustments. It is hard to be happy and glowing when you have an underwire threatening to puncture your left breast.

Also test drive the headpiece for your veil if it has a headband. Some people get severe headaches if they wear a headband for very long. It's best to know this before the wedding day, when you still have time to explore other options (Juliet Cap, tiara, combs, etc.)

14. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Sound Advice! I am so keeping all this info! Cheers again for well wishers and fantastic advice givers!

15. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I've not been baptised either, but I don't really need to worry about it just yet. I know when my parents got married only one of them was baptised and the Church said that as long as one of them was baptised they could get married there.

16. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Oooh- there could be hope and less worry about the marque getting blown away..... :p