e-posting short stories?

Discussion in 'Electronic Publishing' started by CraniumInsanium, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributor Contributor

Several of my female friends tried to read '50 Shades', and none of them got more than half-way through before giving up. Clearly some people loved it, but an awful lot thought it was bilge.

2. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

The sentiment is extremely true. Without being informed and learning the craft, even with an amazing plot you can fail at the first hurdle if you cannot grasp the readers imagination. Passion without direction and focus can lead you astray. Wanting and executing have huge spaces in-between that need to be filled. One good resource i found here was
    Before You Push That Self Publish Button by peachalulu. Very interesting and helpful. I just feel that we can become too hesitant for all the wrong reasons if we second guess the second guesses. Being mindful and careful is one thing but never trying is another.

Some here are really good writers but haven't got the luxury of an editor to ask or can afford a similar service. And I don't think it would be fair to them making them believe their work is never good enough and that it should remain on the computer for just them. So only Friend s and family see it...it's one stage better than being just the author to see it.

If people were to self publish with printed medium wouldn't they have the same fight? Just because if you get published by a big company with an advertising budget doesn't mean any one will read. I see plenty of names at the book shop that people hardly touch.

I'm not advocating shoddy workmanship, I just want people to think that it is possible. And to have confidence in their work ONCE they have done all that is humanly possible to make sure they have the best they can do. We write because we want to tell a story, not too make money. That's an added bonus for the lucky few. :p