1. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

Does narration have its own strange language?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by BillyxRansom, Jul 6, 2009.

There are some words that I see used a certain way only in novels. Sometimes it is in dialogue, but usually it's in narration, to describe an action. It seems to take very different meaning in writing, than the same word used in conversation. They are words that we have heard, and perhaps even understand the definition of, but in narration they seem to have a completely different (and dumbfounding, to me) meaning.

Example: "tentative(ly)". What I see with in conjunction with this word is an action being done by someone, but it is done "tentatively". I've never seen this stated anywhere except in novels. There are others, but I can't think of any at the moment.

Can someone tell me what is meant by "tentatively" in that sense, and moreover, does anyone notice the same thing? Does anyone not understand what I mean?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The only place I have ever seen (or heard) the word ersatz is within the framework for narration. And I have seen it written with some frequency.

3. Necromortis

Necromortis New Member

Tentatively, in that context, means that whoever is preforming that action is doing so with hesitation.

That's not particularly odd though - I know I've said tentatively before. But then again, maybe I'm just pretentious :p

~Christian

4. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

hmmm. I guess I was exposed to this a lot because that is normal context for me to see it in.

5. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

HUH! Interesting, I will definitely be sure to keep this in mind. :D

6. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Here's an example of how I hear/use it: Let's tentatively plan on going out on Saturday at 8 p.m.

7. Necromortis

Necromortis New Member

To my knowledge, that is the normal context that the word is used in.

~Christian

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't... but then i've always possessed and utilized an extensive vocabulary and, for the preponderance of my earthly existence, was surrounded by mortals of the same ilk...

seriously, above cheeky example aside, i've never noticed any difference other than for the fact that in some places i've lived lately, most around me wouldn't use any but the simplest of words and if they did use a fancy one, would almost always misuse it, not really knowing what it means... and that may be what you were getting at...

9. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

well then that explains why I'm confused that others are by this.