1. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Earth hour approching

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by w176, Mar 26, 2011.

Who more then me is going to turn off the lights 20.30/8.30pm today?

For me thats in 10 minutes. I'm cooking a pot of tea and is going to do some mindmapping and character sketches by hand in candlelight.

2. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

So that's in 40 minutes for me. I have no candles, but hey, I can cope an hour without the light being on.

3. ojduffelworth

ojduffelworth New Member

Not me…do you know for sure that burning candles, and emitting wax / petroleum vapour into the air is any more environmentally sound than burning fuel in a power station to run a fluorescent light? Maybe it is actually worse for the environment? Do you have any the data on this? If not, why bother?

4. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Yeah. At least in most countries using candles is a lot worse.

But Earth Hour is a symbol, a rite, not a way to take action. Turning of the light for an hour isn't about saving an hours energy, it about trough the action take some time to show that you have concerns about the climate and the worlds energy politics.

Saying that "Well you not actually going to save any meaningful quality of energy." is missing the point. It like saying "You know, having a funeral isn't actually going to bring them back to life".

Earth Hour is about contemplation and symbolizing you have concern about the words energy consumption, not saving an hour use of energy.

And why bother? Well for one thing sitting an hour in candle light is cosy. I really appreciated an hour with my drawing materials in candlelight, because doing something out of the normal is fun.

5. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

I sure will, three cheers for solidarity. I don't even eat meat, I try to ride a bicycle everywhere I go or walk, and I'll probably start a compost bucket soon.

6. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

So yeah, I did do it. I turned my lights and laptop off so I wasn't using any power. I spent the hour lying on my bed in darkness talking to my cuddly toy elephant which seemed to adopt a country American accent or something for some reason.

As for other things I do for the environment (might as well mention), I recycle, either walk or use public transport, and try and buy only British foods. I need to cut down on how much I'm on my laptop but that's hard considering I'm addicted to the internet.

7. ojduffelworth

ojduffelworth New Member

Earth Hour is about contemplation and symbolizing you have concern about the words energy consumption, not saving an hour use of energy.
    Fair enough, if it makes you feel good…go for it!

And why bother? Well for one thing sitting an hour in candle light is cosy. I really appreciated an hour with my drawing materials in candlelight, because doing something out of the normal is fun.
    Cool! Consider doing it more often…