1. dave_c

dave_c Active Member

Ebook Readers on Nintendo DSLXL

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dave_c, Oct 26, 2010.

When i go back over my work i like to print it out and go over it with a red pen i feel its really difficult to do on a computer screen.

Iv recently been going through A LOT of ink and paper, so have been wondering about buying myself an E-Book reader, Kindle probably.

It then occurred to me that i have a Nintendo DS lite XL, does anyone know of any hardware or software that will allow me to read my own work on it?

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. iambrad

iambrad New Member

I did a quick google search and found this http://blog.jonsayer.com/blog1.php/2009/08/24/how-to-turn-your-nintendo-ds-into-an-ebo

If you are going to purchase a dedicated ereader wait until the new firmware for nook (barnes and noble's reader) comes out next month. The reason I say this is that the wifi/3g models of nook have a few significant advantages over kindle, but for your purposes it may not fit if the new firmware doesn't support doc/rtf/txt format.

Advantages with the nook:
    1. epub support-As far as ebook sources go (feedbooks, project gutenberg, google books, all of amazon's free content partners), most use the epub format. Even the few that support kindle format (amz if i remember correctly) offer epub formatted books. Additionally many public libraries will offer epub formatted books for loan either through their own service or online using the overdrive library. Both the Sony and Borders ebook store support epub so you can comparison shop there as well. If you change readers later you don't lose your library. With kindle you have access to none of that, and their proprietary format means you are locked in.
    2. replaceable battery- Battery dies on the kindle? You have to send it in to be changed on all but the first version. The nook (non color models) has a replaceable battery you can order from them.
    3. upgradeable storage-Some people like to listen to music while they read. Kindle has a respectable storage limit unless you want to store music or audio books on it. Nook allows you to upgrade via an SD card so you can store all the music and audio books on there you like.

Now kindle does have a better interface and menu setup. it even has faster page turns. B&N is releasing a very large firmware update next month that they say addresses those shortcomings, and hopefully many more. I would wait until that comes out before buying anything.

3. dave_c

dave_c Active Member

yer, iv seen that before but it only allows for the books which are already loaded onto it. cant put your own stuff on there,

do you know if the kindle or nook offer a review setting that allows you to write on the books (via keyboard or directly?)

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

If the format that the Nintendo is going to take is an .epub, then I doubt it very much. You would need an html editor to actually edit an .epub file. An .epub is really a .zip file in disguise and when you unzip it, you will see that the data is stored as html files.

You can use a program like Calibre to translate your personal work into an .epub, but once in .epub you're not getting in there via your Nintendo.

5. iambrad

iambrad New Member

I know nook has a very rudimentary system for taking notes and highlighting passages. To be honest it's not very good, but no one knows if that will be improved in the next update.

Kindle has one as well, but I don't know if it is any better.

Both amazon and barnes and noble offer reader apps that work on PC and mac, and they are both fairly similar to what you would find on the devices as far as functionality goes. Also, if you have an android, iPhone, or a blackberry they both have apps available for those devices. You could download them and try out the note taking.

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I absolutely love my Kindle for reading, but I've never tried to take notes with it. It's easy to highlight passages, but I don't know about notes. Buy one anyway, to read books!

I print my work out and make all kinds of notes and scrawls with various colors of pen and highlighter all over it. I won't stop doing that because it's almost infinitely flexible and a whole lot of fun.

7. dave_c

dave_c Active Member

just to give a minor update, there is apparently a "cheat" card available for the DS which allows the use of ebooks in PDF format AND allows you to write on the screen. its called an R4 card but is usually used to run illegal copies of games.

i think im going to go for getting a proper ebook reader though (kindle, nook or similar) bigger screen would make life easier. maybe strtech to an ipad but its a kinda bog stretch