1. CH878

CH878 Active Member

YA books on Kindle

Discussion in 'Electronic Publishing' started by CH878, Aug 23, 2011.

Recently, I have become quite interested in the idea of self-publishing a novel on Kindle. However, I tend to write YA novels, mainly aimed at boys, and I'm not sure this is the best market for an ebook. I don't know of any boys under the age of 18 who own a kindle or any other kind of ebook reader.
    What are your opinions? If I'm looking to publish on kindle should I target a different audience, probably an older one?

2. ThePublishr

ThePublishr New Member

A lot of boys own tablet PCs and ipads - these have ereaders so there's a big market for aiming books at boys (look at how successful the Lord of the Rings books were). If you think about it - if there are say 100 boys who have kindles (who don't have a great amount of books targeted at them) wouldn't you aim to for all of them to buy it, rather than aim at a saturated older market (greater competition). Just my humble opinion - I think you should definitely write what you write best. Good luck!

3. dizzyspell

dizzyspell Active Member

Yeah, I have a little brother (he's ten, so probably a bit young, but the point remains) and he and most of his friends have ipod touches (which can get the kindle app).

They may not actually own Kindles, but they have access to the same ebooks as people who do. Whether they actually read books on there, however, I have no clue. :)

4. CH878

CH878 Active Member

Thanks, I'd forgotten about the Kindle app. And you make a very good point, ThePublishr, about there being less competition for a younger male market.

5. Talitha

Talitha New Member

Interesting thread, I had been wondering the same thing, for the same reason!

Keep us updated, CH878.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Self publishing fiction is nearly always an exercise in futility (and vanity).

Submit to a real publisher, and you can discuss the distribution media with them. Chances are, their strategy will be better than what you can come up with, especially from asking a bunch of strangers on a forum.