1. sportslady0312

sportslady0312 New Member

Publishing on Lulu.com

Discussion in 'Print on Demand' started by sportslady0312, Aug 16, 2008.

Hi everyone. Thanks to Terry's advice, I've published my book on Lulu.com and want to know what everyone else thinks about the service? I want to put my book into the mainstream and there are two options - pay £80 for the "Published by You" option and the free "Published by Lulu" option. There aren't many differences, as far as I can see, between the two. Any thoughts out there?

2. dazbizkit

dazbizkit Member

I think, but I may be wrong. The "Published by You" option is only available in the United States.

Here's the link to the help page that I've been looking at:

http://www.lulu.com/uk/help/distribution_faq#distro_service

Lulu seems such a fantastic way to get your book out to the world. I've been browsing Lulu for quite a while and I'm thinking about publishing a book up there when I'm done. Right now though, I've got some Web Buttons for sale on there. Besides writing I dabble in Graphic Design too!

Good Luck with your book! What's it called? I might check it out :)

3. sportslady0312

Title

Hi there, my first book is called Making It, for reasons that become obvious... It is available to buy via Lulu marketplace on a download but I'm working on getting an actual physical book. Indeed, that is the case that it is for the US, but you've probably done what I did, and gone on via the US version of the website. At the beginning, scroll to the bottom of the page and click English UK (not English US as is default) - the "Published By You" price changes to £79.99 not $99.99, see if you can find what I did! :)

Interesting that you are not just a writer, I too am also a ....photographer - check out www.westonphotographics.co.uk and tell me what you think ok? We're covering a wedding in 3 weeks - our own!! Should be fun!! :)

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Sportslady0312,

I am glad to see that you found a printer that worked better for you than a very expensive vanity press. However, I do want to point out, I didn't advise you directly to use lulu.com:
    I've known a couple of authors who have gone with Lulu.com, and are happy. A few others that have regretted it, so I could have given a little more commentary.

But since you have gone with Lulu.com, to get your novel into the "mainstream" will take a lot of work. Being Print on Demand will put some hurdles in the way. Setting up your own imprint (published by you) probably would help, some. I also believe that you should do that it takes and pay to have it available online (such as at Amazon.com) other than through Lulu.com only (the print version when you have it).

As you run your own photography business, you know a bit about marketing and what it takes to run a business.

Good luck and keep us up to date!:D

Terry

5. dazbizkit

dazbizkit Member

Hmm, I changed the language to UK and the currency to Sterling but it still gives me the US details! But, I'll take your word for it ;)

I previewed your book! It's not my kind of read but it was very well written and I hope it does well! The Web Buttons I sell on there don't really show the best of my designing ability but I like them. They're nice and simple, just what websites need! If you search 'Uber Button Pack' they'll pop up :)

I also checked out your website and I thought the photos on there were brilliant, you've got some real quality stuff on there. Congratulations on the wedding!

6. Manny

Manny New Member

"Published by you" is available in the UK, I have bought it. :D

The main problem I have encountered with Lulu is the high cost per unit, it seems to be cheaper in the US, but as I am in the UK, I am paying £5+ for a 206 page US trade size paperback. When you add P&P, paypal fees and some mark up, it becomes quite expensive.

7. sportslady0312

Interesting comments guys

Hi everyone, thanks so much for this feedback! ;) I know that my book will not be everyone's cup of tea, but at least it's out there on the market. It's great Manny to hear that you've used a Published By You and it does seem the best option, but I agree totally that Lulu's fees are a little on the high side - I suppose though this is justified because it is a free service. :) They wanted to sell my book at over £12!! Which I thought was crazy!! Would anyone pay £12 for a paperback? Can I ask, what your book sold for and how many copies were sold? I love the idea of getting it onto Amazon! :)

8. Manny

Manny New Member

The issue of price is relative to the subject matter.

If its a fiction paperback, then I agree £12 will be hard to justify. Mine is instructional, "how to" or non fiction (however you want to term it). A such, it is worth whatever a reader who values that specific content will pay. I have little credible competition in the marketplace, the nearest being an e-book written in 1988 that sells at $49-95. Against that, mine looks cheap.

On my subject, it is easy for a guy to blow hundreds or thousands writing to fictional women through corrupt agencies, so in that context, nobody should care about a few bucks either way. It will save them many times the cover price. Read the quotes on my website, they are all real and from this forum topic.

It was the best option for me as I write for a niche market that a publisher most likely wouldnt understand how to reach successfully. Mine will be on Amazon in a few weeks (it would be there by now but I am on my seventh review), but it is selling satisfactorily from my website already. I have an Australian publisher who has seen a copy and wants to put it at the Frankfurt and other European publisher fairs next year.

Mine sells from my website at £11-99 and retail is £14-95. It remains to be seen what Amazon will sell it at.