1. Raki

Raki New Member

Pictures, images, and so on

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Raki, Aug 20, 2011.

I don't personally have any pictures, images, etc., in my manuscript or stories (and I'm probably not going to include any), but I was reading another post on here that spurred my curiosity of the subject and reminded me of a few books I've read recently where the characters will draw a symbol in the story or see a sign and then an image of that symbol or that sign will appear in the book, or maybe just a fancy font of the words on that sign will appear below the text.

Do writers include such things in their submitted manuscripts as they would appear in the published version? Or do they make a note in the manuscript (e.g: image 1a appears here) and include a set of images at the end of the manuscript? I'm referring to works of fiction mostly, though I realize some nonfiction is made up of a great deal of pictures and images. How does one go about including such things in the manuscript they submit?

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I would say just include the images, and if the publisher has a more sophisticad method they want to go with, they'll take care of it. At least with you doing it yourself, you're making it clear exactly what's supposed to go there, rather than making anyone guess.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Generally, illustrations in a manuscript are frowned upon. The publisher will typically insist upon providing an illustrator of their own choosing.

If you include a small illustration inline, and it is really necessary to the story, the publisher might retain it as a guideline for the illustrator. But keep it extremely limited, and leave it out entirely if it isn't truly necessary.

Your writing should tell the story. Not the illustrations.

4. Raki

Raki New Member

That's good to know and interesting. I was always wondering if the authors drew these symbols and such in their books (at which I thought, not only good writers, but they can draw too! ... or at least a few of them can :)). Thanks for the responses.