1. Tyler Danann

Tyler Danann Active Member

Homeworld or Home World?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Tyler Danann, May 6, 2014.

Stuck on which one of them is correct.

Homeworld or Home World?

Here's the context:

As they race against time to save not only their own souls but that of the Terran homeworld as well the forces of chaos trigger a great crusade that will change things forever.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm confused....

The way you've worded it, you've indicating that the Terran home world has a soul of its own that is also being saved along with their own souls (Does it? Maybe in your story it does like in Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. I don't know.), and then the part about the forces of chaos is syntactically glued on in a fashion that makes no sense to the preceding.

Perhaps: As they race against time to save their own souls and the Terran home world while forces of chaos trigger a great crusade that will change things forever.

ETA: I would personally go with home world in this case. I would reserve Homeworld for use as a proper noun. I doubt my opinion will be universal.

3. Tyler Danann

Thanks for that. Just re-updated it:

As they race against time to save not only their own souls but that of their Terran homeworld as well. The forces of chaos could well trigger a great crusade that will change things forever!

Does that seem ok?

4. Wreybies

This still technically means that they have souls and the planet also has a soul, and all are trying to be saved. The not only... but that of... construction links the two ideas as one. The antecedent of the word that in the construction is soul, so you are saying the planet has a soul.

5. Tyler Danann

Hmmm, thanks I need to rebuzz the wording...

6. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

To answer your original question, it's usually spelled with two words. The only place I've seen it spelled as one word is in a video game.

7. Tyler Danann

Ok Here's the next attempt :)

As they race against time to save not only their Terran home world but that of their very souls as well. "The forces of chaos could well trigger a great crusade that will change things forever!"

Not sure whether to keep in the last sentence (inverted commas).

The full overview is:

Three tribes from Terra set out into the unknown depths of the cosmos. The nomadic House Kaslar, the questing House Soliter and the deadly House Vril must join forces as they venture onwards.

In a wasted land of barren desolation they find that their quest of retrieval is one of survival against the very blackest of forces.

It's a race against time to save not only their Terran home world but that of their very souls as well. The forces of chaos could well trigger a great crusade that will change things forever!

8. Wreybies

Nope. The that is still tripping you.

As they race against time to save not only their Terran home world but their very souls.

Tyler Danann likes this.
  9. Tyler Danann

This is another bash, I've moved things to the middle and concluded it with the end bit only:

Three tribes from Terra set out into the unknown depths of the cosmos. The nomadic House Kaslar, the questing House Soliter and the deadly House Vril must join forces as they venture onwards.

In a wasted land of barren desolation they find that their quest of retrieval is one of survival against the very blackest of adversaries. The forces of awakened chaos could trigger a great crusade that will change things forever.

It’s a race against time to save not only their Terran home world but that of their very souls as well!

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you're still sticking in 'that of' which turns the sentence into gibberish... take those two words out and the sentence reads well and makes sense...

Tyler Danann likes this.
  11. Tyler Danann

Roger wilco, just amended that.